Navy lawyer convicted of leaking Guantanamo names

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LethalWolfe, May 20, 2007.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Link

I hadn't seen this posted yet. Although it is obvious from reading the article that Diaz has mixed emotions about what he did (his morality vs his sense of military duty) I think he did the right thing. Unfortunately it'll take more sacrifices like this to get the country back to where it should be.

Lethal

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And how about the Geneva Convention breakers? I suppose you'd have been OK with the "I was only following orders" Nuremburg defence?

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

His only mistake is his apology for his actions.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

There's a big difference between the two. Too bad it's not obvious to you.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This officer was given orders which were not lawful. Bush & Cheney had these guys torturing folks, thats against the Geneva convention and against the spirit of the Constitution. If anyone should be doing time its those who's decisions have left thousands and thousands dead while ignoring our own laws with signing statements. Torturing is wrong just as Killing is wrong.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Swarm, any federal employee has to take an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Even I had to do it and I just work for the Postal Service.

It was a case of this man either following his oath to his country or the orders from his superiors. Though he may get punished for what he did, he did the right thing for this country.

8. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, I think we should all sigh a big relief that the officer that abided by a Supreme Court ruling gets jail time (granted it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist 'cause the military just wants to make this case disappear as fast as they can) while his peers and superiors that actively tried to undermine that ruling and unlawfully deprive people of their rights are still on active duty.

The officer knew what he was doing and knew there would be consequences. It's easy to do the right thing when there are no repercussions and I commend him for staying true to his military oath even though it meant the end of his military career.

Lethal

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes. Another thread that shows us who supports the troops, and who doesn't.

10. Queso macrumors G4

And those who profiteer from false and phoney wars?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wonder how you'd feel if it was you he was trying to help. Innocent men being locked up, tortured. Those in charge abusing the system they were supposed to be protecting. Completely negating our moral highground. Making us just as bad as those we're supposed to be fighting.

And you wonder why everyone hates us. Ok, actually, you don't. Kinda part of the problem. Yeah, newsflash, this is why everybody hates us. This is why we hate us. Do you not get how, no, people don't see the difference? People like you are the reason we're in this mess in the first place.

Hm, first they came for the Muslims...

12. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Obviously Swarmlord would never do anything to end up in a place like Gitmo so it's a moot point. But if he did end up in a place like Gitmo it would only be because he did do something to deserve being there even if he didn't know what exactly it was that he did he'd know he did something otherwise he wouldn't be there because the US government is infallible and only detain people indefinitely w/o trial who have done something to deserve being detained indefinitely w/o trial.

Lethal

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Freedom & Liberty with Laws for everyone is what makes our country great. We didnt become what we are by doing things in secret, stripping people of basic rights and becoming the corporation ran police state. Just because we have morons in charge of this country for the past 6 yrs doesnt mean we should throw away the constitution.This Lawyers Oath was to the Constitution not two draft dodgers and a party of draft dodgers. I wonder how many other innocent people have been detained or even tortured under this president?

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Without people principled enough to stand up like this guy, we'll never know.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That would be funny if so many people didn't actually believe it. ;)

Should I make another Nazi reference, or is the thread already Godwined?

Pretty much all we'd like to know, for the good of all, and yet somehow we're the terrorist sympathizers. :confused:

16. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I say go for it.

Lethal

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think the term is "Godwon".

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People followed the Nazis because they thought they were being saved from a threat, or were at least safe themselves from their gov because they were innocent, but they were not.

Sorry, I can't think of anything more clever than "first they came for the..." to combat SL's either misguided trust or flat out delusions.

Yeah, but he didn't.

I was trying to think of something to say about "wine". Like they're all drunk or something. But it wasn't very funny, so I didn't. I'm sure SL or ob will find a not so clever way to turn it into "whine", and I'll wonder if I should have ever even brought it up.