Navy video really offensive???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Jan 5, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I searched and did not see another thread on this, which is surprising.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/entertainment/television/The-Office-on-the-High-Seas-112893634.html

Im really not entirely sure I see very much offensive about this. I hear the word fag thrown around once or twice, and recognize that to some that may be offensive (FYI: the gay people I know do not find that word offensive, and some actually use it), and for sure there is plenty of adult oriented content in the video, but these ARE sailors after all.

That said, I am speaking about the content of the video itself, and not about the appropriateness of someone in senior leadership making such a video.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well that totally ignores the point of the controversy then, doesn't it?

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Context is everything.

A leader sets the tone for the environment. Anyone who produced and broadcast that to a US Navy Aircraft carrier, where women and gheys are serving does not deserve command. The XO himself in the video said he had gotten previous complaints, yet is apparently tone deaf. While I am definitely anti-PC, this officer lacks good judgement. I dont want to rely on that judgement in command of a carrier.

4. leekohler, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- the whole point of this thing is that being in his position, he should not have been making videos like this. Is it offensive? It depends on the people watching it. Obviously, somebody wasn't happy about it, or we would not be hearing about it now.

EDIT- just watched the video. That was unbelievable. Folks- this is work. When is the last time anyone here had a video like that shown to them at work by the boss? Jesus. Completely inappropriate. I sure as hell would not want to work with this *******.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Anybody got an iPhone friendly link to the video?

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Yeah, I guess you can't really make two separate issues on this (meaning taking the XO out of the equation).

Honestly, maybe I am just insensitive, but I don't see anything in here that would cause someone to get their panties tied up in a know. I wouldnt expect (or want to) to see this at MY work, but this was created and shown to a bunch of bored sailors on a ship.

Also, if even HALF the stories Ive been told are true about what happens on Naval vessels at sea, this video is tame in comparison.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There's a difference between "what goes on" and making videos about it, then showing them to the whole crew. That's the problem. That's not just poor judgment, it verges on sheer stupidity. Plus, the guy seemed like a real jerk, so I would not be surprised if somebody complained about the videos just to bust him.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not sure the video was shown in a "work" setting - he calls it "XO Movie Night," after all.

I thought the video was funny, and not any more offensive than many movies in the theater or shows on TV. Clearly the guy is playing a character and the movie was intended to be humorous.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No doubt it was supposed to be funny. But the video was all shot in a work setting, was it not? When is the last time your boss showed you a video like that?

10. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I've seen worse, but then again no matter what, someone, somewhere will get offended. :rolleyes:

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When you live on a ship, everything can be a "work setting," although you're not always on duty.

As for my own experience, I've never had a boss show me a video with girls in the shower, eating a candy bar out of the toilet, etc. I did grow up in a Navy family, and from the stories I've heard, this video is relatively tame. Yes, it's a boys club, and the boys like to have their fun - and it's rarely PC.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Definitely needs to stick to being a XO. I don't see anything offensive really. Like Tomorrow states, it is a boys club. That's what boys do. Reminds me of my frat or my basketball or golf team. Guys just being silly and shooting the shi*.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If you're off duty, then it isn't a work setting IMHO( assuming this was shot when the people who made the video was off duty).

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with the video itself. I did just skim through it, but none of the scenes seemed to promote discrimination against homosexuals. More of a making fun of the joke that the people in the Navy are gay.

This no worse than Top Gear wearing burka's and portraying the Stig as Baby Jesus.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't have a problem with the boys club thing. Give me a break. But the video is too much. It simply isn't appropriate.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, let's address that.

It isn't appropriate, you say. Appropriate for what? Professionals in an office setting? Sailors on a ship? Or are those two crowds identical?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The video is not appropriate for sailors on a ship or professionals in an office. Apparently, the Navy agrees. The guy even acknowledged several complaints from people on the ship but ignored them and did what he wanted anyway.

Hey- we do plenty of non-PC joking around in my office, but if somebody made a video of that and showed the whole company, there would be problems, trust me.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A US Navy aircraft carrier is no longer a "boys club". There are over 54,000 service women in the United States Navy: Over 8,000 women officers, 2,500 women Chief Petty Officers, and 43,500 women enlisted service members. As such, broadcasting that garbage was a piss-poor decision.

Remember Tailhook.

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Which leads me to wanting to hear some opinions from the women on this board about the video.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I want to hear from sailors stationed on US Navy ships, male AND female.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They Navy knew about this video for 3 years and didn't do anything about it until now. The majority of the crew said it was a great moral booster. If it was such a problem why wasn't this brought up years ago.

I have seen clips and the only bad thing I can see is the acting.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The fallout continues.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/01/04/Glenn_Close_Slams_Antigay_Navy_Vid/

Hey- the Navy made this decision- no one else. You'll have to ask them.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Which ultimately is the only opinion that matters since they were the only ones who were supposed to ever see these videos.

I feel bad for the XO. He shouldn't of lost his post over this in no way shape or form. People need to grow up and learn how to deal with stuff and move on. A 15 min video that is satirical and juvenile at best. Watch it. Close your eyes. Use it to make fun of your XO. Then go protect your country.

I thought the Glen Close comment on that link was funny about it being her biggest hit film yet. She needs to get over it just like everyone else.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps you'd like to shoot her an e-mail and tell her to get over it.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I would if it was worth my time. I don't consider her a key player in anything so I see no point.

She is probably just pissed because she didn't get the rights to that clip. She could probably use a good viral video.