Nbc = Fox

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Feb 25, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

NBC is to Barack Obama what Fox News is to Bush.
    every story is so unequivocally biased towards him, it wreaks of the New York Post.
    its like they are incapable of writing and fair and balanced story. NBC's news has descended from journalism to Fox News. well i dont think it's gone that far but see for yourself.
    thats an MSN news story - part of NBC.

http://election.msn.com/?GT1=10928

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23339362/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23338227/

and there are many more. I used to get election news from them. Now all I expect from them is typical Obama worshipping from the media. This is George W. Bush style campaigning here.

2. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It seems to me that most news stations favor Obama. NBC has always leaned left as Fox has leaned right. But I see FNC fawning of Obama just as much as NBC.

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

You mean because NBC is reporting that Clinton's campaign is in serious trouble and that if she loses TX and OH her campaign is finished? Just becauee you're in denial doesn't mean that NBC should stop reporting the facts.

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

They just go with whoever is ahead. At the beginning, when it appeared as if H. Clinton was a sure thing, the media was behind her. Now that she's all but lost, they are backing B. Obama.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is nothing new, networks go where the ratings....I mean story is.

7. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

no i mean ever since the race started all the news stories have been slanted towards obama.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No they haven't.....

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Obama is kinda becoming a media darling right now, deserved or not, but um: Tucker Carlson, Joe Scarborough, Chris Matthews... none of whom I'd call liberal.

While that is true...

The media was never behind Clinton, she just seemed inevitable. She was getting criticized from the very beginning. You keep saying that about liberals and Dems too. Had you been here, or were paying attention to what people were actually saying back then instead of just assuming like you seem to like to do, you'd know that wasn't the case at all. Repeating it over and over again doesn't make it true either.

10. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

look at some of the stories and pics they have up and tell me that's not biased.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Reality is biased.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm actually going to have to go with stevegmu here. Do you remember the numerous debates before any of the primaries or caucuses? The media were tripping over themselves to praise Clinton. The early debates were clearly slanted in her favor, and most early coverage of the race was in her favor too.

But, like stevegmu said, it's all about who's popular. At the time that Clinton was the media darling, she had a large amount of support among Democrats. Once Obama became the preferred candidate, most coverage focused on him.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think he's been getting good press even since he was the underdog. While it definitely has gone more and more in his favor, especially the more he is attacked (he sure does take it in stride, especially the irrational stuff), I just remember it being sort of a novelty to the press. No one seemed to think he had a chance, so they didn't really pay him too much mind. Then he started really gaining traction, and they went with it. Clinton seemed inevitable, so of course they went with her in the beginning, but maybe I was reading different press then you guys were. Most of what I read about her was negative, or neutral at best. Some things defending her against the usual attacks, but even the more liberal press wasn't too thrilled about her. When Obama started winning, the press almost seemed relieved, so no wonder it seems like they're backing him.

I don't know, maybe we're actually agreeing and I'm just missing your point, but I don't remember the MSM ever really "liking" Hillary, just covering her more because she was the frontrunner. But I will certainly agree that Obama has become the new media darling. Deserved or not.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I suppose that's it. But it goes along with my point still. The media had declared Clinton a "frontrunner" before there were ever any contests to determine a "frontrunner". They had assumed she was, based only on name recognition, I imagine.

15. emmawu macrumors 6502

Remember the "MS" in MSNBC stands for Microsoft. That's one of the reasons NBC pulled all their shows out of iTunes.

So to get back on topic I guess that whatever's good for Bill Gates agenda is good for NBC.

16. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Uh....what? That's quite a stretch isn't it?

17. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

every election story they have now is biased against clinton. they only use unflattering pictures of her.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23352812

and they are the ones that circulated that really bad picture of her (you know the one)
    we need journalism! not nbc/fox.
    and i bet the debate tonight will have questions tailored for obama.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I did too. I think I might have been wrong. I certainly didn't think it would be this close.

Again though, I was just disagreeing with the assertion that people liked Hillary and now they don't. I don't remember anyone particularly liking Hillary. Maybe my Grandmother. Not really with the media though. Nor the blogs I read. Nor here. She just seemed inevitable, and people are not so happy with the Republicans right now. Obama came out of left field, started focusing more on the positive than the negative, and gave people a reason to want to support him, not just to vote against the GOP. The media is grabbing on to that, again, justified or not. People want to believe in him. They want to believe in something. He's there, and I think the more she attacks him, the more people sour on her. Witness the booing when she does. She's bringing it on herself IMO.

I don't know if Obama will make a good Pres. I'm still reserving judgment and am only somewhat more impressed than I was. Mostly just getting more and more turned off of the rest of them. But it reminds of when a new Apple product is coming out, and everyone gets their hopes up. Even though it's better than the previous model (sometimes much better) and even though it's a pretty ok machine, it's not as great as everyone hoped. So people are disappointed. If they'd been more realistic, they'd be able to appreciate it for what it is, even if it isn't perfect. Cuz really, what is?

I was going to post something about McCain being a media darling, still being pegged as a moderate and an outsider and such, even during this scandal we haven't been hearing as much about as I'd thought we would, but I guess that would detract from the point of this. Whatever that is. It does seem funny to me though that the consensus on a show I was recently watching was that this won't hurt McCain, and actually might help him. Ok. But also that it not only wasn't a big deal, as our conservative friend who I'm sure was fine with the Clintons' lobbying and sex scandals will tell us, but that it may not even be true. Even the parts we know are. What network was this on, you may ask? No, not FOX. It was on NBC. And repeated on MSNBC. I keep looking for a clip, I'll show you if I can find one, but almost everyone was defending McCain. Again, even against the stuff we already know, like the switched vote, or the lobbyist bragging he was in her pocket, or the fact that he cheated on his previous wife.

Point being that the MSM is probably biased, but probably not in the way we'd think. It's certainly not as easy as some of the above posters are attempting to make it out to be. And if Hillary sucked less, people would probably still hate her, but at least they wouldn't have so many legitimate reasons to.