NBC News: 14 French HIV Patients "Nearly Free" of Virus.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Mar 15, 2013.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

**** yeah, Science!:cool:

Note: They are not cured, but the virus remains at undetectable levels. Some can possibly live without the antiretrovirals.

link

Damn it! I didn't post this in the PRSI section. Feel free to move it. D:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I say keep an eye on them and let them go drug-free for 3 to 5 years while still visiting a doctor to see what happens then make the proclamation.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is major. I really hope they get this crap cured. It's absolutely devastating.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The same can probably be said for many other viruses...

In these cases it was just a matter of getting a quick diagnosis, and the right diagnosis. Sometimes that's the hard part.

it's refreshing, though, to hear so much good news on this front.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Early detection today is easier than ever. It no longer requires sending blood away to a lab. My university offers free HIV tests every year and they're done on the spot. A small finger prick and 20 minutes is all it takes for a result. Just got tested a couple of weeks ago. All clear. :D

6. Andeavor macrumors 6502

From what I know, there are two tests, the quick prick and the lab one. You should *always* do both just in case the virus won't let itself detect so quickly. And sometimes, the tests get messed up both ways.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

To quote Joe Biden: This is a big ****ing deal. :) So glad to hear some good news on this front.

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Same here! My college hosts free HIV testing in partnership with the county health department every spring semester.

HIV Status: Negative. :)

--------------------------------------
    Note: Some of my straight friends think they don't have to be tested for HIV, this is entirely false. Everyone, gay and straight, needs to be tested for HIV every 6 to 12 months; preferably every 6 months. The only time you don't need to be tested is if you're a virgin and 100% celibate. i.e. no anal/vaginal/oral sex of any kind.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You've forgotten to include injecting drug users. Blood transmission of the virus is much more effective than sexual transmission.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless