NBC to End iTunes Sales of Its Shows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluebomberman, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

what a load of horse hockey. I don't see how these media companies think they're gonna get more customers and revenue by upping the copy protection and prices on their material.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think apple should take a step further by refusing to sell nbc shows and universal music.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Bummer

Beginning of the end of Apple's media power.

5. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Not necessarily. A lot depends on what the other networks do. I'm guessing they won't adopt the "screw Apple" stance that has infected all companies Universal. (I could be underestimating how much the other networks and studios hate Apple, though.)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

NBC has been playing a lot with options, though, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

They've released 1st season DVD sets and then, stopped, or worse, put out poorly re-worked t.v. shows on DVD without extras for the same price. They've dumped shows almost as quickly as Fox does but then, I noticed that they showed up online for Windows machines with Intel Viiv (?) technology. Kidnapped even ended up overnight on the weekends for whatever reason.

I think NBC are fighting for life in the digital age and they don't know what to do. A year from now, they could be back on iTunes.

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Is there anyone here that thinks this is a good idea? I certainly wouldn't buy bundled packages.

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm betting they won't ever leave... just trying to get some leverage for negotiations. They'll continue selling from quarter to quarter with no long-term contract. Because they would lose serious sales if they really did pull out.

But those mofos, if they take away my Office...

9. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Translating Apple's stance: that's the stupidest, dumbest, most idiotic idea we've ever heard!

I wish I can find some figures on iTunes video revenue... Methinks the current revenue stream is tiny compared to distant future potential revenues, so NBC probably feels like this is the best time to make a stand.

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Good Call. NBC-Universal Leadership Is Brain Dead.

Good Call.
    NBC Has Idiots for leaders.

11. beaker26 macrumors member

Say I miss an Office episode. In the past I would just go on to iTunes and get it there, because it was easy and it felt like the right thing to do. But if they show isn't on iTunes I'm not going to start an account with another online media provider if they change to something else, I'll just torrent it.

12. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

That is one of the most asinine things I've heard all day.

IIRC, on The Office DVD commentaries, they specifically thought they would be cancelled until the execs caught wind of the very high iTunes purchases.

Ah well, I'll just torrent them now. Thanks NBC. :rolleyes:

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i could understand it if they wanted more money fo HD content, but they clearly been looking at the prices for tv shows in the UK iTs and thought hell that's more like it :rolleyes:

14. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

NBC might get their act together and find viable alternatives to iTunes. So we may not have to resort to extreme downloading measures...

(But I wouldn't bet on it.)

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As haphazard as they've been in the last year, I can seriously see them leaving, regardless of sales. It doesn't look like anyone there understands what's happening.

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Article says they are also seeking "better piracy controls". I wonder what they have in mind - I thought the iTunes shows were pretty well protected.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think NBC Universal is asking for major trouble if they try to pull their TV shows from the iTunes Music Store just when Apple releases a new iPod video that actually makes the show viewable clearly on the player. NBC will suffer a de facto boycott of sorts and people will be wondering why their ratings take a nosedive.