NC May Force Teens To Get Notarized Parental Consent Before Getting STD Tests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vega07, May 9, 2013.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

Link

Speechless. Or more like LOL!!!

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Going to guess this bill was sponsored/introduced by a Republican?

EDIT: My guess was correct (no surprise there).

3. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Republicans are the majority in both the NC House and Senate.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

House Bill 693 has been pulled (for now...)

The NC House committee has apparently backtracked on its approval of a bill...

According to an Huffington Post article, the bill, sponsored by State Rep. Chris Whitmire (R), was approved by the Health and Human Services Committee on Tuesday. But today, the Republican-controlled committee decided to pull from the NC House calendar at the last minute by Speaker Thom Tillis.

Full article...

This page at the Planned Parenthood site states the same info...

5. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

As expected, which is good (for now). But it's another fine example of how Republicans really don't represent anyone but themselves.

6. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I don't understand why liberals think it's fine for children to go get medical treatment and prescriptions without parental consent or notification.

Just boggles my mind that anyone would just not care enough about their kids to want to know these things.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wanting to know about things like this is one thing. FORCING them to do something is another, and is wrong. If a parent condones forcing their children to do something they may or may not want, those parents parental skills need to be scrutinized.

BL.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Imagine if teenage boys had to get parental permission to get condoms?

And people wonder why there are so many abortions in this country. These same people are also against it. Makes absolutely no sense. The state of Texas will be finding this out in the next few years.

If teenage girls had to be forced into getting parental consent before getting birth control, what do you think is going to happen?

9. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

If you have great parenting skills and your children are comfortable discussing everything with you regarding their sexuality, more power to you. This is the ideal scenario of course, and I want this for every parent and their child.

But is this the case?

Scared children will refrain from seeking medical attention, and this is why our country has laws that do not require parental consent for adolescents to seek medical care for a plethora of reasons, including STDs. Delay in seeking attention for many STDs can result in infertility, serious neurologic deficits, and even death.

Not to mention if there is abuse in the household.

Be honest, would you have been comfortable talking to your parents about STDs at 15? If yes, good for you. And if not, then be thankful for our current health privacy laws that would have protected you.

Funny how the legal age to consent to have sex is 16 in NC, but you would need a notarized note from your parents to seek healthcare if you contracted a STD from sex.

This legislation is on hold for good reason.

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

In their warped minds they believe no birth control / no condoms = no sex. But in reality these kids will just have sex without protection. I know this, you know this but the politicians voting for this legislation either don't believe it or do but don't care.

It's ridiculous really and it's as if they live in a dream world. Sometimes I wonder if these politicians have been replaced with lizard people whose intentions are to get as many of our young people infected with life threatening infections and diseases on purpose.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

And from these same warped minds of said elected officials you'll hear about talk about the need for proper "morals" and such and yet the price of a blow job seems to always goes up in the capital city when the legislature is in session. I can't help but wonder why that happens!

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's not a concept confined to "liberals". The Competent Minor is a very empowering and important construct in allowing youth to freely access medical services. Especially in the realm of sexual health. There are a number of caveats however which physicians are bound.

Given said poster's track record on sexuality I'm guessing this would not be the case.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There's a pretty broad range of parents out there. Think about when you went to high school, college, graduate school, or whatever. Think of a few jerks. Some of them probably have kids now. While I understand that the GOP wants to encourage abstinence, do you think it's a good idea to discourage nervous kids from seeking appropriate tests? Forcing them to tell their parents may result in worsened conditions. Here's a more direct link.

I'm still puzzled why you feel compelled to use "Liberal" as a blanket notion for everything. Here the reasoning would be that treatment should be available regardless of who genuinely earned their "world's greatest dad" mug.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Practical situational analysis. How do you think this will affect the treatment of STDs among teens? Do you think more teens will seek treatment or fewer?

Right. It's not that we're concerned that such a law would delay kids from seeking treatment out of fear or embarrassment, we just don't care about kids enough.

15. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Way to add a Fox News twist to it and make it sound worse than it really is.

16. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Why am I not surprised that people here are opposed to parents, (who have legal and financial obligations for their teenage children), knowing the status of their childrens health...

17. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

No one is opposed to parents knowing those things. You are foolish to think so.

People are trying to be more realistic and minimize threat and maximize safety.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wow. Just, wow.

The basic tenet of adolescent medicine is they they CAN seek out medical care and treatment without the fear of parent reprisal. The prevents the biggest barrier to adolescents seeking out health care. Of course we counsel them and try to serve as a bridge to talk to their parents.

Of course, with the narrow-minded views you hold, i am sure your children feel completely comfortable discussing all aspects of their health and sexuality with you.

It's not a liberal/conservative issue, it is a human issue.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

While i realize this is the PRSI sub forum, but is it actually required by the Rules that every thread descend in a pointless and nasty Republican vs Democrat...conservative vs liberal name calling shouting contest?:confused:

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unfortunately there are those in the world who are stuck in the black/white developmental stage of concrete operations.

21. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

yes, it's either that or:
    • My Science vs Your Science
    • My Tech vs Your Tech
    • My Life Experience vs Your Life Experience
    • Have your words be twisted to meet someone else's agenda

Now let the crap flinging ensue! Yee Haa.. :D

22. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

This is just sick. If my 16-year-old daughter suspects that she has an STD, I don't wanna know unless she actually wants me to know it. And I would detest any law that otherwise would forbid a doctor to provide her medical treatment.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Shouldn't we also pass laws that say any child under 18 has to have notarized parantal consent to carry a pregnancy to term. Give the parents the power and authority to force a mandetory termination of the pregnancy?

If you say no, then why is it ok to violate teens rights to privacy in this way?

24. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Seriously? The 16 year old gets to call the shot on this?

The only thing consistent about 16 year old kids across the board is that they think they know everything when in reality they don't know jack.

----------

Outlaw abortion....problem solved. :D

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

There just aren't enough facepalms on the internet for this.