Nearing the end of my rope with Firefox.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarlboroLite, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I'm thinking I can't be the only person out there who is becoming increasingly angered by the deterioration of Firefox over the past few years.

I have been a loyal Firefox user from 1.5 onwards back when I still used Windows and remained loyal with my switch to Mac 3 years ago. Firefox was light years ahead of anything offered at the time I switched and I simply grew accustomed to it's look and feel, and some great add-ons I can no longer live without. Nevertheless, my limits of loyalty are being severely tested lately--festering for quite some time now.

Back in the 2.X days the big issue was memory leaks, 3.X was supposed to fix it. Yet here we are at 3.6.6...and the memory usage by this browser has never been worse. I have 9 tabs open for about 3 hours now and memory usage is at an astonishing 512.4 MB. This is just unacceptable. The memory usage on Safari would be half that or less in the equivalent situation. Performance suffers as a result. I am forced to restart Firefox every few hours to alleviate this memory problem, only to find myself having to do it once again later.

Second issue, the constant beachballing. Yes it only lasts 10-15 seconds at a time, but it is simply maddening. I can't think of the last time I had a beachball appear on me on Safari with heavy usage. I find it unacceptable that these days with powerful computers and broadband connections Firefox can grab 50% of CPU usage when having a few tabs open and start beachballing with such frequency.

Keep in mind I do not have endless plug ins and extensions. I only use what I need. I know that many of the crashes are Flash's fault, but I'm not even talking about Flash when these performance hits take place.

Third issue: it's grown slow. I don't think I need to elaborate any more on that. It's just not as fast as it used to be. Scrolling often lags too.

I honestly do not know how much more of this I can take. The thought of ditching Firefox was unthinkable for me some time ago, but more and more I am increasingly frustrated with this browser that has apparently become the Hummer of browsers: memory hog, resource hog, bloated, slow and unreliable.

I will give Firefox 4 a chance once it is released for the public and I think that will be it for me if these issues are not addressed. Enough is really enough. I've grown so used to this browser that it is very hard for me to leave it, but I'm sick and tired of getting a sh**ty experience. Safari is OK and it would take a lot of getting used to to make the full time switch, and I wish I didn't even have to contemplate it. Chrome is out of my list--the idea of Google tracking me 24/7 is enough for me to not even consider it no matter how fast it may be. Alas...I guess I'm just ranting, but I truly am sad about this situation. I want to stay loyal. They have just slowly but surely tested my patience one too many times.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Most people I know (including myself) have switched to Chrome from Firefox.
    I want them to make a solid update. Firefox 4 is the same to me, with a different theme. I'm with Chrome for now. Try it out.

:rolleyes:
    Google doesn't track you via Chrome. The only thing Google might track you is for usage statistics/crash reports, but you can uncheck that option. Jeez, ignorance. Google is an advertising company, but they are moving on to other forms of technology such as phones, browsers, operating systems. They don't track you for advertising.

3. karthiks macrumors newbie

The day I get password syncing with xmarks on chrome, I shall switch. But then again, I am pretty happy with Firefox. I use a decent bit of extensions and greasemonkey scripts.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

You use a third-party plug-in to keep your passwords safe in a cloud center, for the sake of syncing them to different computers?

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I switched away from Firefox a few weeks ago. Like you, it's been my fave for years, and I thought I'd never use anything else, but I was getting constant lag and crashes.

I'd like to see Firefox get back to being great, but until then, I'll use something else.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The only thing Firefox losing to the webkit browsers (Safari, Chrome) is speed. And yeah, it sux, and there are a lot of times I'm very close switching to Chrome due to the speed. However, until those other browsers have noscript, I'll stick with Firefox.

7. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I was a long time Firefox user also. loved all the themes and add-ins. But I switched to Safari 5.0 when it was released. For me Firefox got too bogged down with all the extras.

I'm sure I could have turned off some of my add-ins and that would have helped speed things up...but I was getting a lot of spinning pinwheels also.

I haven't tried Chrome...so I'll give that a look. But so far...I am pleased with Safari 5.0....

I sure wish someone would develop an extension for Safari that would replicate the "All-In-One Sidebar". IMO the best add-on for Firefox.

8. karthiks macrumors newbie

These are passwords to the different forums that I keep checking once in a blue moon. Nothing important and nothing that can steal my identity. :)

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Most of my friends use Safari and some use Chrome. B.C. or Before Chrome, there were only IE, Firefox and Safari. Opera just didn't catch on. IE sucked from Day 1 and still sucks and Safari wasn't as compatible so most people used Firefox. To me, Firefox is just too slow and I haven't seen any major improvements over the last few years. The UI is relatively the same and the speed somehow seemed slower as time progressed. On the other hand, while the first version of Chrome (beta) was horrible, the current version is relatively solid. Not that many features and slightly-confusing UI but very fast. Gecko just can't compete with Webkit. That's why Safari and Chrome are leading the benchmarks. Once Safari/Chrome extensions blossom, Firefox will disappear.

10. justn macrumors member

justn

I concur

I am in the same boat as you OP. I can echo your post completely.

I gave Chrome a shot for a week, its very nice, but I can't stand the UI and the few other little quirks it has.

Right now I'm using Safari, and I must say, I quite like it. There are definitely things I miss from Firefox, like the uber-customizability of it. Fortunately that is being taken care of with extensions now. I just wish Apple would get their act together and make an extension repository like Mozilla has. That is what kept me from switching right when it was announced.

11. Aronnax macrumors regular

Nealy every popular browser benchmark is today only a Java Script benchmark. When it is true what Christopher Blizzard (the Director of Developer Relations) promise will leading Firefox 4.0 every benchmark once again :D
    http://gizmodo.com/5581880/burning-brighter-the-future-of-firefox-browsers-and-the-web

12. Aronnax macrumors regular

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I tried Chrome for a month the speed was impressive after a week it did not seem any faster than Firefox. I do not like the UI. The main problem being that the address bar and search are the same nor downloads popping up at the bottom. The interface also just seemed too simplistic, there are very few options in the preferences.

As for Safari I just never liked Safari much. The lack of plug-ins is a deal breaker. Of the plug-ins that are there. They are not as integrated with the browser as Firefox. Such as xmarks being on the Finder menu and System Preferences rather than configurable straight from Safari.

I'll stick with Firefox for now. At least until Chrome become more customizable like Firefox.