Nearly $1 billion in side deals by Gov. Brown

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 10, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-gas-tax-side-deals-20170409-story.html

bribes to pass a tax w/o input from the people. these morons should be in jail

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's par for the course in politics. Squeeze the **** out of that turnip.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

is this not how politics have always been done?

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So is the increase actually going to go to infrastructure or to certain "cities".

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Less than 2% cost increase to break a two year stalemate?

Sounds like a bargain to me.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

general fund, it's going to whatever they want and they can say they need more when that is gone.

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ohio? We have one trying to do raise registration but supposedly residents would get a card/token to swipe to take off the gas tax.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, and we have been getting gridlock as we try to move away from it. So it's good to see it coming back.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but hey if the roads are better less gridlock right?

12. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Nope. Next door. No-one will be exempt from their plans. Owners of electrics and hybrids will have to pay more for their registrations than gas vehicles, since they don't pay much, if any taxes on gas. If they'd actually use the gas tax for roads they would likely not have to raise taxes, but that would be too much like logic for them.

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Without doing any research, I feel this is like the 100th time CA has raised our taxes to pay for roads.

Then I see them repaving the same roads over and over, ignoring the same road for years, or taking 6 months to repave 2 blocks.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

our taxes pay for roads and we still have toll roads :mad::mad:

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I'd rather have toll roads than gas taxes. As long as all the tolls went to maintenance and improvements of the roads. Years ago in Kentucky they had the Bluegrass parkway, from Lexington to Elizabethtown set up as a toll road and it was a pleasure to drive. Well maintained and scenic and not overly expensive. They removed the tolls some years ago and now the road relies on the regular state funding process for repairs. It's a crap road now and a pothole fest. User fees don't irk me hald as much as a tax, and a toll is (or should be) a user fee.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

None where I live. The only toll road I've ever encountered in California was Pebble Beach's 17 Mile Drive.

Just one more reason that NoCal rocks.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You guys get snow. No thanks I'm happy with the hotter weather and just a sweater when it's "winter". Toll roads for me only apply when heading in/out of L.A

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I want our roads fixed. But I don't trust tax money to be used for that purpose. Really I am worried about this money being used for the train boondoggle. I wonder if any politicians stop and think that you just can't keep raising taxes indefinitely?

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How much are they? I haven't been out of LA yet and wanted to head down to Orange County tomorrow. Is there a California alternative to the east coast ez-pass system or do you have to pay the old fashioned way?

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

In OC, they got rid of the old fashioned toll booths several years ago. Now you just drive right through, they read your license plate and you log onto their website and pay within five days. If you don't, you'll be getting a ticket.

As for how much, some of the toll lanes have variable pricing. I've seen it six bucks before. Other roads have fixed pricing, but because you can pass through multiple checkpoints along the way charging you each time, it can add up!

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oh, woe is u.s. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

https://taxfoundation.org/comparison-tax-burden-labor-oecd-2016/

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Here you go.
    http://m.ocregister.com/articles/toll-613904-fastrak-pay.html
    I am yet to get the fast track and the prices vary depending on how busy the fwy is

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You guys always make living in southern California sound so appealing :confused:o_O

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It is appealing. It cost a lot to live here, but the weather, beaches and mountains are fantastic! But don't let me tempt anyone, we already have enough people here and don't need anymore. So with that in mind let me recalibrate a little bit....it's a hell hole! Stay out! Don't come here! You'll hate it! :D

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's been more than a couple years since I've been out that way but the only place I liked in SoCal was San Diego. I'm sure it's great out there but it's not great for me too many humans in too few square miles.