Nearly a third of iPad owners haven't installed a single app.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrochester, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

I thought this was fairly surprising when I read it on the BBC News website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11605682

Personally, I rarely use the app store as I find it slow, and bizarely, no way to show only the free apps in each category.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Doesn't really surprise me as even with the iphone, the killer apps for me are email and safari. I use those two almost exclusively apart from standard phone functions

4. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

"It found that among US citizens" suggests neither. ;)

6. Ksane macrumors regular

I don't play games and mainly use mine for web browsing, watching Netflix and mail. So while I,ve got 4 or 5 web browsers from the App store, that's about it. So I tend to believe the article myself.

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Not too surprising, the iPad comes with enough good apps, besides games.

8. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Nearly a third of iPad owners jailbreaked their iPad.

There. Fixed it.

9. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I don't buy the survey. Graphs and charts don't legitimize any sampling. Also, didn't Apple's data suggest otherwise?

10. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Fixed it for you, too. Grammar is fun. :)

It's not perfect, but if you go to the "Top Chart" area, you can select by category in the upper left and it will show a column of the top paid apps and a column of the free apps in your chosen category. You can continue to see more at the bottom of list. I'm not sure how far into the list you can get; but, it's always gone far enough for me to find what I need

11. Diane B macrumors member

That astounded me at first but then I thought of 2 of my friends and my husband. Without me recommending apps they would never do the work to discover them. All of the ones I've recommended have been helpful to them and they use them all the time. Some are productivity apps, some are fun/lifestyle, a few games. I have lots of apps and use most of them quite a lot. Dropbox made a huge difference in how I use my Ipad but I do also read newspapers and magazines on the IPad as well as books, deal with docs, use it for a photo portfolio (main computer processed files to Dropbox to Ipad), and also do all my email, internet--as I use the Ipad like my own little library where when I have a question I look it up. I read and participate in forums. Not much I don't do with it and apps help.

Diane

12. SemlinaPilchard macrumors newbie

Actually the relevant chart in the report shows that 91% of iPad owners had downloaded an app, so it is only 1 in 11 that have not, not 1 in 3.

A post on another site suggested the one-third figure may be those who have not downloaded any paid apps, which is something else altogether.

Also the report was apparently based on 5,000 people but it shows that only 4% of them owned an iPad so the sample for the usage question was only 200 people - not particularly persuasive.

13. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

I wonder why the BBC ran with the article that 1 in 3 people haven't downloaded an app then?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I dunno, but it's disturbing that a media outlet as big and well-known as BBC runs such a misleading article!

15. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

I agree, the apps already on there are pretty damn good i must admit!

16. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I also agree with that.

And I find the App Store really helpful, and I love finding new apps that suit my needs.

17. b.c. macrumors 6502

yeah pretty bad reporting!

quote:
    "The customarily competent media-survey firm, The Nielsen Company, has backtracked on its startling claim that one-third of all iPad users have never download an app. The company now says that the number of download virgins is fewer than one in ten."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/25/nielsen_restates_ipad_stats/

18. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

yup.. only 9% jailbroke their ipads to get free apps instead of 32%

Kinda a mixup.

19. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I rest my case!

20. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

They may not legitimize anything, but they do illustrate what the data says. Yes, graphs and tables can be very misleading, but I doubt they were making them up to prove a point.

21. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

My App downloads make up for at least 20 people. I think the few of us that do like to download and test Apps are a bit obsessive. Between iphone, ipod and ipad I have currently 800 on my MacPro and I must have deleted hundreds. I try most free Apps and if I like them I buy the full version and I shop for price drops every day. I keep a running AppShopper file of have/wants since the beginning of the store. I give list to friends who get iphones (I'm the only one with ipad so far but I feel X-mas will change that).

22. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I shouldn't have to explain, but I will. My point was just because they used colorful graphs, the data was flawed. So, the graphs were useless. My point was corroborated, I didn't believe the findings.

No, they didn't make up the findings, they're just incompetent.

23. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Well as others have pointed out the report goes on to say that actually maybe only 9% of owners haven't downloaded any apps.
    And also as others above said I could maybe believe that a 30% figure would represent those who have not paid for extra apps.

But the app store experience is utter crap. In terms of discovering apps that is. The categories are in great need of sub-sections. . .

Productivity for example is just far to wide an umbrella for all the kinds of apps in that category. It needs sub-sections of . . . . .

Word processing
    Data processing
    Presentation
    Data/file storage
    Drawing
    Image editing
    Etc etc etc. . .

Amazed apple still haven't sorted this out. Especially with a Mac AppStore on the way. . . . . Is that going to be as badly laid out as well?

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Must be the cutbacks, probably got a student in to do the technology news - either that or they are sub contracting tech news feeds from Gizmodo