Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Work on Apple Park is nearing completion, and the latest drone video shared today by drone pilot Matthew Roberts shows off recent progress and finishing touches that are being put in place on buildings and outdoor areas.

Today's video features the now-completed Apple Park Visitor's Center, located across the street from the main ring-shaped building. The Visitor's Center, which boasts a huge carbon fiber roof and is made from the same materials that were used for the main building, opened last Friday.

The Visitor's Center features an indoor area with a replica of Apple Park that comes to life using an augmented reality app, a rooftop viewing deck that gives some obscured views of the main campus, a cafe that serves coffee, tea, and snacks, and an Apple Store that sells standard Apple products and some exclusive Apple Park gear like t-shirts, hats, tote bags, and postcards.

Progress has been made on the landscaping, with lush grass now planted outside of the cafeteria's enormous glass double doors, and the pond at the center of the campus has been filled with water. Outdoor food stations are nearing completion, and the solar panels on the roof of the ring-shaped building have all been installed. Apple Park will run entirely on renewable energy provided by the solar panels on the roof.

While much of the campus is complete, there's still some work to be done. Landscaping is still ongoing in the area near the employee fitness center, for example. Even though landscaping work is not finished, employees are already moving into Apple Park. At this pace, it appears construction could be largely wrapped up by early 2018.

Article Link: Nearly Completed Apple Park Campus Shown Off in New Drone Video

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Jeez, the building is massive! It’s crazy how times flies. 2018 looks like it will be an even greater year for Apple. Well deserve.

Reactions: MagMan1979

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Looks great but wasn't it supposed to be done about two years ago?

At least being delayed gives it all the qualities of a modern Apple product.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Given that without Steve Jobs Apple would either be dead, or just scraping along the bottom now.
Seeing that pond.
I had a thought..........
Using natural stones, it would have been lovely to have created a giant mosaic of Steve's Face at the base of the pond.
From up close it would look like just natural stones, but from a birds eye view, you could see it was Steve.
After all, as I say, without him, none of this would exist.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, it shows it in a rather believable manner.

No, Carl, A drone doesn't need to show this building in a manner to make it believable, which we already know it's a massive building. However, I find it unbelievably large when using An aerial view from the drone Given the Magnitude of entire architecture from those angles.

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Wow, several comments in and MR forum members haven't used Apple Park as a segue to complain about every Apple product ever made....(faints)

Reactions: MagMan1979

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The drone perspective shows you unbelievably how massive this building really is.

Exactly.

And I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with American football... but the center courtyard of the main spaceship building is almost 4 football fields across.

That's 4 of these:

lXRt7IB.jpg

Crazy time... :p

Reactions: ipedro and 44267547

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It's a massive building, fairly nice, would I go there to see it just to have seen it, no, there are plenty of better places to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I'm really impressed with how quickly the landscaping has settled in. Much of it already looks like it's been there for years. I'm curious about that visitor's center though: the rooftop lounge area appears to be open to the weather. What happens when it rains on all those wood tables?
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but Cupertino is well known for its near perfect weather. It's almost always 70 and sunny. Very little rain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.