nebie question about Verizon iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rnbgrilla, Dec 4, 2012.

1. rnbgrilla, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

rnbgrilla macrumors member

so i just started a contract with verizon, from apple.com ordering the iphone 5, im waiting on ups to bring it to me by today.
    does the phone come activated? or do i activated myself? & if so i choose not to can i cancel my contrat right away or do i have to wait?
    because i heard & seen video on the web, that verizon iphone sim is unlock, my whole plan was to go with Straight Talk, from the start. its way cheeper then buying it out right, i'll be saving 50$ & paid The ETF
    $399iphone +ETF$350 = $750 (even if i pay 1month Service ($90)
    unlock iphone 5 = $849 + tax's$30 =$890

i'll be saving $50 lol thats still alot of money

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It's GSM unlocked but you'll still be paying for the contract unless you pay the ETF. So no you cannot just get the phone for $200 and never activate it. And yes I think it comes activated as soon as you turn it on. If you don't then Verizon or Apple will activate the phone for you

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need 30 days of service.
    And once all is set and done you're not saving $100+.
    Maybe $40-50 but you have to waste all this time and jump through 100 hoops.
    To some their time is more valuable than that and rather avoid it all and pay full price.

4. avanpelt, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

avanpelt macrumors 68020

Ouch. You should've posted your question before placing your order with Verizon. You'll be able to return the phone within 14 days, I believe; but you can't buy a subsidized phone from a carrier, not activate it on said carrier, and take it to a different carrier without paying an ETF. If it worked that way, there would be no reason for people to pony up for an unlocked phone.

Even though the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked, I don't believe you can purchase the phone without signing up for a plan with Verizon. Whether or not you "activate" the phone on Verizon, I bet they will be sending you a bill every month for the plan you signed up for. If you decide you don't want to pay for the Verizon plan you're not using, Verizon will promptly charge you an ETF for breaking the contract that entitled you to get the subsidized iPhone 5.

5. rnbgrilla thread starter macrumors member

no, im willing to pay the ETF, long story short, i returned my iphone 5 black to apple, & then gave me a gift card. so i had to order it from them online.
    & only now they offering unlock iphone 5 witch im too late because mine has shiped.