Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, May 27, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I gotta say, this is the last thing I would have expected out of Nebraska. Conservative lawmakers actually led a movement to repeal the death penalty in their state and actually successfully overrode their governor's veto. It's actually shocking. Good going Nebraska!

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I saw that. Kudos to Nebraska for overriding the veto.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

So there's very little crime deterrent left. Kill a bunch of people, and spend the rest of your life in a nice cell with 3 meals a day. No adult responsibilities.

Maybe they need to bring back the chain gang, so taxpayers will at least be getting something for their money.

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It was never much of a crime deterrent anyway. Please show me a study that states with the death penalty have lower crime rates than the 19 states where it's been abolished. Besides, Nebraska hasn't even executed anyone in almost two decades.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As an Omaha native, this one is a bit bittersweet. This is the 1st completely Red state to repeal the death penalty over a sitting governor's veto. This has been a task that one of the local state senators here has had on his plate for nearly 40 years. For that, and overriding Gov. Ricketts' veto, it's really good.

Bittersweet, however, because the idiot who just shot and killed a LEO there, 2 hours before her shift was to end for her to go out on maternity leave, now is going to live out his sentence behind bars.

Do I wish that guy dead? I don't know him, so I can't say. I just know that a widower and his child are missing mommy and their sibling right now, and that makes it sad all around. :(

BL.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It hasn't been a deterrent. We're one of the only first world countries with the death penalty and we also have one of the highest murder rates of first world countries. The death penalty as a crime deterrent has been a complete failure.

7. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

To technically be a deterrent, wouldn't the criminal have to be executed before he/she committed the crime?

To me, calling capital punishment a deterrent is a severe misnomer.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. People think that in a perfect world, someone would say "Man, I really want to kill that guy, but I'm not going to because they would execute me."

In the real world, someone would say "Man, I really want to kill that guy, and I'll do it so well that I'm never going to get caught, so I'm going to kill that guy!"

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

10. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Personally, I'd rather someone live with murdering someone else for the rest of his/her life than die for it. I don't see how executing a murderer is morally any different than murder itself.

I could also be convinced that at least a portion of that life sentence should be served in solitary confinement with no human contact.

Like I said. Live with the murder. For life.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A government with the power to kill it's own citizens is a government with too much power.

12. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Yeah prison life is just fabulous. No adult responsibilities? If you kill a bunch of people you're locked up for life without a snippet of freedom until you die. That's a much better (worse?) punishment than a quick and easy death to me.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Taxpayers do get something. That person can no longer visit their community and likely poses no threat to them. That's the whole point of it.

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Absolutely!

When you give an inch, the state/fed behemoth takes 10 miles. It's too bad that we have given them a million miles already.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm glad to see more conservative members here be consistent with actual conservative stances. Simply put, a government should not have the power to kill it's own citizens.

What is bizarre is the irrationality of the "conservative" politicians that scream about "big government" and/or government not being able to get things right but stand absolutely behind capital punishment....completely insane.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well done, Nebraska.

And, well done, too, for over-riding the Governor's veto. Good news, and a good day's work.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Just the thought of having to spend the rest of one's natural life in Nebraska should be deterrent enough. It may be seen as unusually cruel. Death would be merciful.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

And yet, strangely, states without the death penalty on average have a lower murder rate than states with the death penalty.** Most people don't just go crazy in those non-death-penalty states just for a chance at a nice cell with 3 meals a day.

You have a mental model of how you think the world works, but, you are rejecting the reality of how the world actually works.

** Source: just Google "correlation murder rates death penalty" for many sources.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The problem with the death penalty is we don't have "swift justice." Look how many years inmates spend on death row.

I wish I knew what a good deterrent to crime would be, but I no longer have all the answers to the important questions of life. I'm still working out how we can get students to come to school every day when their parents don't care about being called into truancy court.

20. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You're right, better to execute them quicker so that by the time there is evidence to overturn their conviction it's too late.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'm glad to see yet another state chose to stop with the death penalty.

After seeing just how many false convictions there are, I really think that's the only way forward.

22. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is pretty much the argument that made me anti-death penalty. I used to support it until recently. The incident that put me over the edge was a recent SCOTUS case that was argued regarding the use of the lethal injection, which by the way hasn't yet been ruled on and . At that moment it occurred to me that attorneys were arguing with government entities in a court of law about techniques that the government uses to kill it's citizens. I was already on the fence at that point, but that put me over the edge.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

If you are interested in this subject, you might want to look at a few Wikipedia pages on homicide. e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

A heterogeneous bunch of different large countries have homicide rates around or lower than 1.0/100k. (Not counting countries with non-credible statistics.) Naturally, with such a large collection, they are not all the same, but, I think you can find common threads where 3 or 4 out of 5 countries share the same policies. Many, but not all, of those countries do not have the death penalty. Many, but not all, have serious gun control. Most, I believe, have strict handgun control, although i would need to cross-check that. (Or, you can research that yourself.)

My hypothesis is that, first of all, a country has to want to have a low murder rate. Enough to go to the political effort of establishing policies that take a decade or two or three to fully proliferate throughout society.

As a teacher, I'm sure that you are aware every day of those 1-3 kids per classroom who are just a little too impulsive and thoughtless, and, who are not always "deterred" by future punishments. And, of those kids, 1 out of 100 or so will become a serious, serious problem. Those kids, and the adults they become, will always be there, and, in all those other countries with low homicide rates. How do they do it in those other countries?