NEC LCD2690WUXi with New MacBook PRO 15 & mini display port to Dual DVI doesn't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by braveheartbill, Jan 25, 2010.

1. braveheartbill macrumors newbie

I purchased the apple mini display port to dual-link dvi adaptor and a dual-link dvi cable. The 2690 display now "lights up" but I get constant partial screen flicker and flashes. Tried Apple support but no help. I've talked to NEC support but no help.

Help!

2. Winters macrumors member

I read that if your own usb port isn't giving it enough power, you need an usb power adapter and plug directly in the usb of the Dual dvi adapter.
    I wonder why apple didn't keep dvi in the first place.
    Having to buy this kind of adapter for 99$ just to connect on a big monitor is a really bad joke.:mad:

3. braveheartbill thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Winters - thanks but already tried a powered USB

@Winters I have it plugged into a powered USB adaptor but no difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

My older 17" MBP works fine - but it has ports on both ends so more real estate. Maybe that's why the mini-port?:mad:

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Isn't the 2690 just 1920x1200 resolution? In that case you only need the single-link adapter. The dual-link is meant for displays with higher res than 1920x1200.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

The dual-link adapter is definitely not needed for the NEC 26" display.

6. braveheartbill thread starter macrumors newbie

@chrfr & @kasakka - THANKS

Per your posts, I went back the to non-dual link mini port adaptor with the newer DVI-D cable that I ordered specifically to connect the MBP to the NEC monitor and no luck. Then, I tried the cable I was using on my "non-apple" PC that was DVI-D but older and voila, it worked like a champ.

I think what happened is that I tried the cable that connects my "non-apple" PC with a GEFORCE 9800 card and that didn't work with the mini display to DVI adaptor. Apple advised that I needed the dual link when I called them so I ordered that and a dual-link cable from another source. So, I thought I ordered a Dual-llink DVI-D to go with the Apple Dual-link adaptor. But, after just now seeing pin configurations for single and dual I see that I may have paid for a Dual-link cable but actually received a Single-link -- that didn't work with either Apple adaptor (but does with an older NVidia Card with DVI-D connector that I took the cable that does work from).

Both DVI-D cables (the old cable from an older PC and the new just recently purchased) have the same pin configurations but one works with the single-link DVI mini-port adaptor and one doesn't. But both work on the older NVidia card in a PC. Go figure???? I wonder what the differences are between the cables??

Thanks for getting me straight and causing me to try another cable before totally giving up.