Neda Soltan is Times Person of the Year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Dec 26, 2009.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Times Online that is...

link

A much much better choice than Ben Bernanke.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Definitely a better choice as to nobility of character, but it's almost an insult to her memory to even bring Bernanke's name into the conversation. She was striving to increase liberty and freedom. He's working mightily to destroy an entire economic system.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The person of the year is not so much an honor. You don't have to be a good person. Hitler won in '38, Stalin in '39 and '41, and Ayatollah Khomeini in '79.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This isn't actually the TIME Magazine person of the year.

5. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I don't believe she was even taking part in the protests, just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Leave it to the media.

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Her words according to the article:

Ignoring the pleas of her family, she went with her music teacher eight days later to join a huge opposition demonstration in Tehran.

“What we’re fighting for is more important. When it comes to taking our stolen rights back we should not hesitate. Everyone is responsible. Each person leaves a footprint in this world.”​

I'm glad the Times Online publication has brought attention to her and this issue.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right, I was talking about your and Desertrat's assertion that she's a better choice than Bernanke. Bernanke has had much more influence in the news throughout the entire year.