Nedd Help: iPhone 5 under ATT contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MN7119, Sep 22, 2013.

1. MN7119, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

MN7119 macrumors regular

Need help to find the best way to handle this: I have an iPhone5 under a 2 year contract with ATT. I still have to unlimited data plan so don't want to mess with that. I got an iPhone5S (T-Mobile unlocked) and wanted to get the iPhone5 unlocked so I could give it to my mother who lives abroad and need an unlocked phone and I would use my ATT sim card on the 5S and keep my contract and plan as it is. This morning I went to an ATT store and asked if I could pay the remaining balance on the subsidized iPhone5 so I could own it and do it all legally and by the book. They said there is no way for me to do that and I have to keep the iPhone5 until the contract ends to get it unlocked.

I know there are was to unlock the phone on the web but I wanted to do it the right way but apparently there is no way to do it. Question: if I unlock the iPhone5 on the web ad give it to my mother and plug the ATT sim card on my new 5S will it work? Will I have any problems with my ATT account/plan/contract? Tks for your help.

2. deeddawg macrumors 603

If your mother is on AT&T then no issues, move her SIM to the 5 if its a nano SIM and put your existing SIM in the 5s. If you need a new AT&T sim for her, a corp store should be able to help you out, just bring in the phone with no SIm and tell the you want it on her line. The lock is to the carrier, not to the account.

3. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, just added to my question that my mother lives abroad and needs an unlocked iPhone to work on her carrier there.

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Unlock fusion. Like $2 and it'll be unlocked in a couple hours. She puts her sim in your 5 and it'll work. You put your sim in your 5s and it'll work as well

5. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

Will ATT know I changed the phones? Will that affect my contract?

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Won't affect contract at all. I sold my 5 months ago and unlocked it probably the day I got it.

The system will show the new phone but you won't have any issues, plan changes or contact from att.