Need 4k External Monitor buying advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rboyd5589, Oct 14, 2017.

1. rboyd5589 Suspended

rboyd5589

Dear fellow MacBook Pro owners,

I am new to these forums, but have been a frequent reader of them for quite some time now. Recently, I purchased a 2017 13'Macbook Pro w/touchbar. I absolutely love the machine as I have been a windows guy my entire life. I have no intention of ever going back to windows, unless some unforeseen issue arises which is unlikely due to the fact that this MacBook has been, by far, the best computer I have ever owned.

Anyways, I am in the market for a new external monitor. Specifically 4k. I am looking for one with...
    -60hz (or higher)
    -1ms refresh
    -Freesync
    -300nits or higher
    -27 or 28 inch

I have found a Samsung currently on sale at best buy that is under $400

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022

I know it isn't the sexiest monitor around but I intend to use it for basic work stuff (email, word, excel, internet) as I am not a developer and do not edit videos or photoshop. I really just love 4k and big monitors.

I really would like yalls opinion on this monitor as well as any others that are in the same price range you would recommend. I have a large desk and will basically put my MacBook on a stand next to the monitor for work at home, and just disconnect and put it in my bag when I need to go mobile. Any and all advice is much appreciated guys thank you for your time and I am glad to be apart of these forums finally!

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

I use an LG 27UD88 with my 2017 MBP w/TouchBar and my gaming PC (USB-C for Mac, DisplayPort for PC). I've had it now for coming up one year next month - zero issues. Great purchase, would definitely recommend.

3. thefriendshipmachine macrumors regular

ever since I've owned multiple 5k iMacs and 2 LG screens with image retention I would advise you to avoid all LG panels completely. They're garbage.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

My 2015 5K iMac also has terrible image retention. But my 27UD88 monitor and 4K TV do not suffer at all (both LG).

Luck of the draw, maybe.

5. mrsmavrik macrumors newbie

Make sure to get a usb-c to DisplayPort cable to get the 60hz refresh rate. I don’t believe it will with HDMI/dongle

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It will provided the display and the dongle/cable supports HDMI 2.0 :)

With this particular Samsung, it supports HDMI 2.0