Need a 24-27" 16:10 non-glossy IPS display..what are my options?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by odinsride, Aug 2, 2010.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Title says it all - looking for 24-27" 16:10 non-glossy IPS display options

Preferably a 27" but I haven't been able to find anything that suits my needs yet.

Willing to spend ~$1000

Thanks in advance

Edit: FYI I do photography and work in Aperture and Photoshop a lot (as a hobby, not for a living), so would like something with good color

2. sharonart95432 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a non-glossy display too!

Hi, I am looking for a non-glossy display for color correct graphic design and photography work as well. I have been told that NEC and Samsung have top notch matte displays, but would love a recommendation from someone who has used either of these brands or another one that will deliver accurate color.
    I have loved my 23" Cinema display and it has been fairly accurate. But, I would like another display, preferably a 27"-30". If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate it as well.

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

NEC yes, Samsung not so much. In general, NEC and Eizo are the top professional displays. HP and Dell (their high-end IPS screens) also make great options that are better values. NEC and the high-end HPs and Dells use LG IPS, whereas Samsung is PVA --- though Eizo makes some great professional displays with PVA.

As for recommendation, I have a NEC LCD2690wuxi that I got for cheap just as the new models were coming out. I really like it, especially the A-TW polarizer.

4. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

My biggest problem is finding a large 27" display in 16:10. I would really like the Dell 27" if it could just be 16:10..arghhh

5. Wreckem macrumors member

Thats because no one makes a 27" 16:10 panel. Which means no 27" 16:10 monitors.

For 16:10 you are stuck at 24" or 30", for as long as they continue to make 16:10 panels, which is to be determined.

And really both the U2711 or Apples 27" iMac/ACD have plenty of vertical pixels.

6. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

27" is a pretty new size, and since most of the industry is going to 16:9, that is what you should expect to find. Step up to a 30" perhaps, or settle for smaller 24"?

My wife's got a 25.5" Samsung T260HD w/built in TV tuner that is matte, 16:10, and 1920X1200. It's TN and discontinued though, so maybe not what you are looking for. Nice bang for the buck display though and you could probably track one down.

I am also considering a new 24-27" ips. I'm thinking dell u2410 (this over the hp equivalents), however, part of me is thinking of holding out for the new 27" ACD. I think I could live with gloss and 16:9 to have some of the other nice features (huge size, easy connect to MBP, speakers, eyesight, LED, apple aesthetic). The only thing I would need to change is the stand (with VESA adapter and 3rd party stand) so I can lower it to a more comfortable eye level.

16:9 sucks for documents, but it is maybe not so bad in 27" since you still have more vertical resolution than a 24" (1440 vs 1200).

If you want the dell u2410, it is on sale right now for $499 in dell small business store.

Let me know what you get!

7. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I forgot to mention that in your budget, you could get TWO u2410. Now that would be a SWEET setup, better than a single 27". Of course if you are using a MB/MBP, that may not be an option.

8. circularforward macrumors 6502

That would be a GREAT setup.

9. eponym macrumors 6502

I have the new Dell U2311.

It's 23", but still 1920x1080 and IPS. Not quite the gamut range of some of the more expensive IPS ultrasharps, but still very good. And amazing for the price.

10. npropes macrumors member

The Dell U2410 is a great quality panel. I have two of them at work and they are great. You can generally pick them up on sale from Dell for $500ish. If you're using a Mini or a Pro, then you could pick up two and they would provide you with a fantastic digital canvas to work on.

11. mangrove macrumors 6502

I love my new HP ZR30w (they make them smaller) which comes as a matte screen and has a 3 year warranty extendable to 5 years.

No need to buy dual-link DVI cable either since it comes with one.

12. sharonart95432 macrumors newbie

thanks!

Just wanted to quickly thank everybody for their thoughts on this! I wish Apple had come out with a matte display, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I've had the 23" cinema since they came out and it's been pretty consistent. I've just been looking for a larger display and I'll use the 23" as my dual. I think I've settled on NEC. Not sure which size yet, but would love a 30"! Anyway, thanks for all of your advice!

13. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I believe I'll wait on the 30" dell IPS to come out :)