Need a 27" monitor but am limited on budget...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airwolfheli, Apr 18, 2011.

1. airwolfheli macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I really need a 27" monitor but have a budget of about $500. I was thinking of the Dell Ultrasharp 2707. I know they are a bit older but they still seem really nice. I'm a graphic designer and 3D animator so I need something nice. Even if it's a few years old. What do you guys recommend?

2. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

3. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got a 27 inch vizio full hd tons of inputs a year and a half ago at costco for 350 and I love it

4. snebes macrumors 6502a

Good color accuracy/resolution
    27" Size
    Low Price (as in $500 or less)

Pick 2 of these. Your budget doesn't allow for all 3, unfortunately. You could find a 24" UltraSharp in your price range. If you allow your price range to grow quite a bit ($900ish), we could talk bigger.

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

The big price difference you'll see in the 27" range is between 1080P (often called "FullHD"), and the higher ppi 2560x1440 displays.

Unless you're going to be sitting far away (couch distance), or you have very bad eyes, getting a 27" display at 1080p is going to be a waste. The pixels are much larger, so much that "the screen door effect" will get annoying, and you get no extra working area than you would from a 22" 1080p display, but you loose a lot of desk space.

If price is an issue, I suggest getting two smaller (21 - 23") 1080p displays, instead of one 27" 2560x1440 display. Either way you'll have about the same number of pixels, it's just a question of the format.

In summary:

27" 1080p display
    $300 - $600
    2 million big pixels
    waste of desk space, paying for larger footprint, but no larger workspace

27" 2560x1440 display
    $600 - $1000
    3.8 million pixels
    ideal

2x 21" 1080p displays
    $250 - $400
    4 million pixels
    nice compromise between price and total pixels, but very wide setup

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I got a 27" Sanyo that Im actually selling for 200. Just upgraded to a 32". Not that Im trying to pitch it to ya.

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I am assuming you will be using these on your desk and not from far.

Only go 27 inches if you really do need 2560x1440 resolution. If you can make do with 1080p resolution, get a 22 or 23 incher. 27 inches at 1080p from desk distance will not be that great.

You should also try Craigslist or eBay. I scored a 30 inch 2560x1600 Dell 3007WFP-HC for $600.

Otherwise, try dell outlet store. They have great deals.

8. tchockey, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

tchockey macrumors member

Hi
    look into HP 2711x or 2511x amazing monitors for the money.
    you can also get great deal on the 2710m. go to amazon and read reviews.
    lots of mac owners.
    I have owned the 27" and 24" cinema displays, 21.5 imac and 27" i7 2.93ghz.
    now have macbook pro i7 with 2511x, Great text, blacks are black and whites are white.
    for 1/3 the price, go figure !!! don't get me wrong I love mac's and thought the cinema display's were it.
    sorry my eyes are happy, happy, happy now !!!!!
    lol

9. airwolfheli thread starter macrumors newbie

is this ideal for accurate colour, refresh rate and graphic design work? It seems awful cheap for a new monitor. Usually that means they are cutting corners at the viewer's expense. I'm a graphic designer that needs to see fine details for clients and anything that is not HD and fuzzy or ghosting would not work for me. That's why I was considering the Dell Ultrasharp series even if it's a few years old. I had the 24" Ultrasharp version of the 2707 and it was wonderful! Does the monitors you guys suggested to me as good as the Dell Ultrasharp?

10. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Why can't that happen to me :p

11. airwolfheli thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked out the hp 2711x and it looks like a really good monitor for the price. Does anyone have one to confirm this?

12. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

Could you give us your set-up please and which software will you use?

If you're a graphical designer there are a few things you should consider before buying a display.

1. NEVER GO WITH TN (Twisted Nematic) PANELS (the hp is one). Why? image ghosting (seeing double when viewing animations), bad viewing angle's (you'll perceive a certain color differently, depending on where the pixels are located on the screen and from where you're looking toward the screen this due to= ), color shifting, fewer colors (most TN screens, if not all, can show less colors, most of the time black and white also appear respectively lighter and darker than in the more advanced P-VA and IPS panels).

2. There are two other groups of techniques to arrange the crystal matrix of the pixels. Namely P-VA and IPS. I'm not sure why but mostly IPS is considered superior in comparison to P-VA (as is the price-tag ...), although most of the high-end displays you can buy nowadays use the IPS technique (all mac's included - except maybe the first gen mba). What are the advantages of these techniques over TN? well just reverse all the disadvantages I mentioned for TN :). Also: I'v never seen a TN-panel with a resolution higher than 1920x1080.

3. Never believe the salesman. If you see a display that costs half of what you expected it to cost, there might be some unwelcome surprises after the unboxing. Therefore ALWAYS look for reviews on the net. There are plenty of sites whit this kind of information. Just google "<name of the screen> review".

4. Check out your system and compare it to the recommended specs of the software you'll be using. If your system only meets the minimum requirements, don't expect it to be capable of running a dual screen set-up or a 2560x1440 screen.

Hope this helps :)

Personally: I'd go with the Dell 2711. It's about 200 bucks over your budget but those are really worth it in my opinion. Great screen, for a great price.

13. airwolfheli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the great advice! It will definitely influence my decision for sure. Do you think the 2707 Dell would be a more affordable choice for right now? I'm sure later I could get dual 2711 screens but for now, I see that the 2707 is within my budget on Ebay.

14. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Actually, none of the MacBooks, MacBook Pros, or MacBook Airs use or have ever used IPS panels - they're all 6-bit TN panels.

15. airwolfheli thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?? Well it's a good thing I sold my Macbook Pro and now going to a Mac Pro with a Dell 2707!! I'm making the right move all the way around for certain.

16. Sjhonny, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

Sjhonny macrumors 6502

After googling around a bit, I can only find myself standing corrected! I always wondered why the viewing angles of my mbp aren't to great (in comparison to my iMac). I always thought they used a for laptops specified design of crystals that could result in smaller proportions and less power consumption. Naive me to think that apple was beter than the rest of the market (apparently apple called it a TN+ panel in the past). I hope they finally use the IPS in the next design overhaul :)

thx for the info (and correcting me ;) )

To the OP:

Just to make sure: we're talking about the Dell 2707WFP?
    (if yes:) I don't know. That display is about four years old already. If you can still find one on the market, it might be quiet possible there's no warranty what so ever on the product. If you consider buying it second hand, I wouldn't give to much for it.

I'd personally go with two Dell Ultrasharp U2311H. That's a 23" screen but it uses an ips panel, it's more recent and I read some nice things about it http://tweakers.net/productreview/35143/dell-ultrasharp-u2311h.html (the review is in dutch, but you could use google translate, or just google for another one - like: http://www.pcworld.in/product/review/dell-ultrasharp-u2311h-19782010). The lowest price I saw for one screen was € 240. In dollar (I don't really now the el-cheapo's in het States), the lowest I found after three short google searches was 270 $ (cheap deal), so you'll probably find two of does for less than 500 :).

For usage: you can put them next to each other in the length (width view - resulting in a woping 3840x1080 workspace!) or in height (resulting in "imitation" 27", with a 2160x1920 resolution). I tried both (but still with 1240x1024 screens ;) ) and liked putting them side by side in the width the most appreciable. You'll have just 4% less pixels in comparison to the 30" ACD's :). But keep in mind that you'll have this black band between the screens at all time, maybe you should try to find out or you find this annoying or not (maybe you now someone whit a spare display? and try it out at his place)

17. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

Hey,

when I thought about buying a MBP, I found the HP Pavilion 2710m:
    [​IMG]

Well, of course it has not a resolution as high as the 27" iMac but it at least looks a little bit like the ACD. :D Decide for yourself what's important to you. For me, it's design.
    Oh, and it's not really expensive (about 330,- EUR).

Cheers

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm just wondering why you are dead set on a 27" 1920x1200 display over a 24" 1920x1200 display. The 25% extra physical screen size isn't something to be sniffed at, but it also isn't that amazing if you have good eyesight.

Personally if buying for colour accuracy I wouldn't go near the 2707 - had far too many issues, some that weren't even resolved with the 2709, and I wouldn't buy used either for professional use. If you go look at threads for displays on a big display forum like [H]ard|Forum, you will see many people who have had to send back multiple displays regardless of manufacturer to get something that doesn't have flaws. With $500 I'd go for a new Dell U2410.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I agree that the 27" monitor might be too large.

After doing research, for the money, the LG IPS236v, after being calibrated, is a fairly decent purchase. Again, on a budget, they're rather good.

http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron-ips231p-p357_10778_35.html
    (that's the same panel as the IPS236v but with speakers added and slightly different stand. The IPS226 is also reviews by that site, which is the smaller version of the 236. The 236 does include HDMI and the same stand with the transparent middle. The 236 has a VESA screw-in mount as well...)