Need a copy of iCal for Mac OS X v10.5.8 >> iCal "not supported" on this architecture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveiott06, Jul 28, 2010.

1. steveiott06 macrumors newbie

Hey guys-

Another issue with a Macbook Pro. When the user tries to open iCal through the Applications Menu they receive the message "You can't open the application iCal because it's not supported on this architecture"

In the software updates there is no update available because it seems as if the program isn't installed on the book.

I tried downloading the most recent version (v1.5.5) from the apple site but when I try to install I get a message that says "iCal software cannot be installed on this computer" :confused:

Its running OS X v10.5.8 and iCal is supported from 10.2.3 and up. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

I do have screen shorts of the messages if needed, however I copied them word for word.

2. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. patrixl macrumors regular

1.5.5 ?? Version on my Snow Leopard Mac is 4.0.3.... That download must be outdated, no wonder it can't be installed on this computer. Maybe it's even an OS 9 version, or early OS X.

If the iCal you have isn't supported on this architecture, is it possible that it's a PPC binary only, and you don't have Rosetta to run it? Maybe it got corrupted somehow, too?

iCal -> right click -> get info... does it say Universal? PPC? Intel?

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Pop your install disc in and do an install without formatting your hard drive. Thus should fix any corrupt files including iCal.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

As you can see, that iCal version is from 2004 and is not supported on Mac OS X 10.4+, thus 10.5.8 is out of the question.

If you have the grey restore DVD handy, pop it in, run Pacifist to extract iCal and you should be good to go.

Or if you know someone with Mac OS X 10.5.8 (I have 10.6), you can ask them to send a copy of that application to you.

Or you could ask here and change the thread title accordingly.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

6. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!

7. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't have the install cd. Anyone out there have the program they can send me to help me out? Thanks guys.:D

8. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

well I was able to copy v2.0.5 (30mb) to the laptop and now I just get a message that basically says "This version is unable to run on this OS". Nothing to do with architecture, but still it will not run it. any other ideas? What the hell!!

One thing that I did notice is that I do not have the option to "open using rosetta" I have no idea what that is and why its grayed out, does this have anything to do with it?

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just run to the Apple store or Best Buy and spend $30 to get Snow Leopard. A very modest price to get your computer up and running with the latest OS and the latest version of iCal which comes with it. You've been going through this for 2 days, just go buy a copy of Snow Leopard and be done with it.

10. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Try this:
    On your grey install disc, install the optional installs, and select only iCal.

AnonMac50

11. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to get this working by reinstalling the original version of the program. Thanks for your help guys!:D