need a couple extra iphone USB cords...cheapest site?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Mar 11, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

i'd like one for my car, 3ft would work, also i'd like a longer one for charging so i;m not yanking it out all the time..apple is gonna charge ridiculous amounts, will a non apple one suffice?

also which will sound better playing through my car's headunit, 3.5mm AUX headphone jack, or using the usb/iphone data cable

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

http://www.monoprice.com/

----------

The data cable or bluetooth are going to sound the best. This is all depending on your stereo/speakers though too. If they are standard paper cones, you will notice a marginal difference at best.

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

is there a certain brand i look for on monoprice? i mean will these still charge fast/well as an apple brand

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My friend bought a ton off of Amazon for $0.73 each. They were generic Chinese ripoffs, and a fifth of them failed. But you have a ton of them, and they're ass cheap. They look identical to the Apple genuine cables.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I haven't had any issues with the ones on monoprice. I don't sit there and figure out how long it takes things to charge, but I haven't noticed a difference in charging times. Monoprice tends to get recommended a lot too, so I don't think they are as "cheap" as the competition. I got some cheaper ones on eBay too. I want to say 2 for $.99 I bought 10 and two failed. Still not a bad price for those overall though. The ones that work do seem to charge just fine. They also sync to itunes, so can be used as a data cable. Interestingly though they do not work with our Microsoft Sync in our Ford Fiesta. It won;t even charge in the car.

6. cynics macrumors G4

I got a bunch off Amazon and I think they are Chinese rip offs. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I got a bunch of black 6ft cables.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The cord won't affect anything. If you're talking about chargers then the specs on the charger will tell you how quickly you'll charge. Get a charger that supplies ~1000mA/1A. 500mA is what USB ports typically provide and will result in slow charging.

Brand is just brand. Don't assume that brand X means fast and brand Y means slow.

How does it connect to your head unit? "Head unit" doesn't really mean anything. Some have iPod/iPhone interfaces, some have USB, some have AUX (3.5mm or dual RCA's), some have Bluetooth, etc. Of the ones you've listed, headphone is the worst as it goes through the headphone amp. You want line level out.

8. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks!

9. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They all fail eventually. I personally bought a generic dock -> microusb connector, hopefully it'll be a little more reliable. I was thinking of importing the official version (not sold in the US for whatever reason), but I don't really feel like paying the markup.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I bought a bunch off amazon and they work just fine.

12. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I bought a bunch off eBay and so far they're all working