Need a GOOD external monitor for my 15'' MBP. Budget: $150-$200

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Jan 30, 2010.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi, I have the Late 2008, 2.4GHz, unibody Macbook Pro. I'm getting an apartment in college soon, and I'm looking to get an external monitor. I'm an engineer so I don't do video or photo editing, but what I do a LOTTTT is watch movies and TV shows, and I like to watch them on a bigger screen (22'' and above). Also I'm hoping to get the mini display port to HDMI adapter, so if the monitor has 1920x1080 resolution that would be nice. I can settle for dvi too, so HDMI is NOT a requirement.

Can I get an external monitor in my price range that will fit my needs?

Thanks for the help, and feel free to recommend me stuff you guys have :)

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Samsung listed in my signature was $300 about 1 year ago. One of the best TN panels out there. I'm probably thinking you don't really care about IPS vs TN panels though.

I'd say browse Amazon or your local electronics store (avoid Best Buy's, they tried to scam me multiple times) for 21"-24" monitors. Adjust the price range on Amazon to fit your budget. Anything Samsung or LG is good. Stuff like Westinghouse, Acer, etc. are poor quality.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Westinghouse is not poor quality. I got a 24" 1920x1200 P-MVA panel from them for $375 with tax from Best Buy. Composite, component, VGA and HDMI inputs for less than $375 that wasn't an TN panel in 2007. It was impossible to get something this good back then.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The best monitor you can buy for $200 is the Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA.
    Nothing else will compare at this price versus performance comparison. And anything larger will be a huge downgrade or a huge price increase.

You can buy it from Dell directly for $212 plus tax with free shipping
    Here are details

This is an IPS monitor.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have a Dell 2209WA, and it's great. It is by far the best monitor I have ever owned (although I haven't owned very many), and one of the best monitors I have ever used. I paid closer to $300 for it because Dell didn't have them in stock, but it was still worth it. I had to exchange it twice for dead pixels/ a backlight hole, but now I have a good one and I love it.

Dell is currently selling them for $309, so I don't know if you would still be able to get them for $212. It's still worth a shot to try to negotiate the price.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=2209WA3

Even if you have to pay full price, I'd say it's worth it.

There are four main LCD panel technologies: TN, MVA, PVA, and IPS. There are many variations of each (S-IPS, e-IPS, S-PVA, etc), but all you really need to know is that TN panels are the worst, and the rest of them are generally good. Of course, TN is the cheapest, so if all that matters is size, resolution, and low price, TN might be good enough for you. The MBP's LCD is TN. The 2209wa is IPS, which would normally put it at a price point a several hundred dollars higher for the same size, but they found a way to greatly reduce the costs (maybe at the expense of quality. Hopefully they fixed the quality issues after being out of stock for a while).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_film_transistor_liquid_crystal_display#Types

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

According to the link I posted, you can still get them for $212.

Here is some proof since you posted without reading some of the info in my link

Or

Or

Or

Or

There are tons more similar posts on the earlier pages in that thread. This monitor has been available from the day the monitor was released for around $200 if you can follow some easy instructions. On the other hand, if you go to Dell's website, it has always been $300 unless there was a sale.

7. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Better borrow from a Friend a 13" MacBook Pro or even a netbook for a week, than go back to your 15" MacBook Pro and you'll feel it like an IMAX screen!

Just kidding, i got a Nice 20" LG Monitor for around 150$ It's not supergood but it does it's job, If you want something very good get the LED Cinema display, you can find a refurb one at apple or a used one on eBay for about 500 bucks, it's over your budget but it's way better and fit's way nicer with your MBP

8. Paul B macrumors 6502

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I get it. I've seen that link before, and I didn't check the end to see if people are still getting the deal. It used to be listed for less than $309, which is why I thought you might not be able to get the deal any more.

Dell was out of stock of them when I wanted to get mine, and it was either get one on eBay or wait an indefinite time from Dell, uncertain that they would ever be back in stock at a reasonable price, all while the stock on eBay gets bought up/increases in price. I paid about $280, I think, and I'm happy.

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

But a good 24" 8 bit color monitor (meaning S-PVA, H-IPS, or eIPS) is closer to $400 or even $500 rather than $200 + tax.

vader1990,
    You should buy what you want but if viewing angles or color clarity are important definitely take a look the 2209WA.

11. DanLD45 macrumors newbie

12. Greenman85 macrumors regular

costco has an 18" samsung 1080p hd tv/monitor for 180. its pretty baller

13. seanconn macrumors member

definitely don't buy at best buy if you are going to let one of their "sales associates" tell you what to buy lol.

they do have good deals sometimes.

Samsung is a bit too expensive for my liking now. HP is alright with some of their stuff, but they jsut so obviously want to look like Apple.

you should really try and spend 250. 300 even. or keep on waiting.

14. Paul B macrumors 6502

True, but it's worth it.

15. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Like other said, there are Dell monitors around $200 that do 1080p. I got one last May for that price and honestly I thought it sucked! I returned it right away. The colors were all washed out. It's a workable and decent for $200, but I wouldn't consider it "good".

Try walmart or best buy. I know BB will price match, that is where I got mine. They matched the price on dell.com. Depending on your Mac you may need an adapter if all you have is a mini displayport.

16. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Samsung too expensive? HP alright? What does this mean? Why are you generalizing a company's entire of monitors?
    Samsung only uses low quality panels in their computer monitors currently (they have some older high quality computer monitors), so I doubt their prices are very high. HP makes some great business class monitors the LP2475W, LP2275W, and generally their LP line are excellent monitors although you pay for what you get.
    Here is a link

Do anyone of you all even know what you are talking about or even the difference between TN, VA, and IPS technologies? Or do you just go buy the cheapest 22", 23" or 24" monitor which fits your budget and might have a brand name? You have been throwing out just random suggestions it seems.

First off you cannot buy a Dell Ultrasharp (or HP LP series) at Best Buy or Walmart. Second, unless you buy a Apple Cinema Display, if you buy locally you will get a generic 6 bit color, poor viewing angle, TN panel monitor whether its made by Samsung, LG, HP, Dell, etc... Third who in their right mind would buy electronics from Walmart???

Lastly, the Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA is not 1080p, its a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor like the current MacBooks and has a resolution of 1680x1050.
    So while the resolution is slightly less than 1080p (1920x1080), you get much better contrast, color depth, viewing angles, and a much better stand (All Ultrasharps come with a height adjustable stand).
    There are no other IPS panel LCD monitors under $300; buying a 2209WA is like buying an Apple Cinema Display but 22" instead 24" and CCFL backlight instead of LED backlight, otherwise same technology used in the display.

17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Did you even bother reading the original post? The poster has a $150-200 BUDGET.

18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

There is a reason why I suggest the 2209WA. Its $212 when you follow the instructions in the link, and an awesome monitor well worth much more. I doubt the $12 is a deal breaker; its only 6%.

Only other suggestions in the thread have been a 23" Acer for $170 and that Samsung is too expensive.

Dell has three 21.5" 1920x1080 (1080p) monitors and one 22" 1680x1050 monitor on their website under $200. None of them are even close to comparable to the 2209WA, I am suggesting. The 2209WA will have better contrast, better color, wider viewing angles, and a better stand (All Ultrasharps include a height adjustable stand). Furthermore Dell lists these sub $200 monitors as capable of 24 bit (16 million colors), when in fact none of them are, yet the 2209WA is a true 16 million color display. The sub $200 Dell monitors can display 262,000 colors or about 10% of 24 bit color.