Need A Job? Want To Make $100K? There's A Boom In Texas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 13, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

There's an oil boom in West Texas that is making for some high paying jobs. All you really need is a drivers license to be making $100K a year. Yeah, it's an oil industry job but the money is good if you're not afraid of hard work!

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article...ollar100000-a-year-in-the-west-texas-oil-boom

Video at the link

2. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Fracking - a process in which tons of chemicals are injected into the ground. And guess what:

Fracking companies won’t have to disclose chemicals thanks to Trump administration rollback
    https://thinkprogress.org/fracking-repeal-consequences-4362a9587bfe/

"In his March executive order on energy independence, President Donald Trump ordered Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to review and repeal the fracking regulations. That process was finalized in late 2017."

3. raqball macrumors 68000

My son worked in the oil industry on a drilling rig before getting on board with the railroad as an electrician... He made more $$$ doing that than he does now as an electrician with the RR....

It's hard work, 12 hour shifts with a goofy schedule of like 14 days on - 14 days off.....

4. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Yeah, not a fan of fracking, myself, but the jobs are still there for anyone who wants to make the money. If I was younger, unmarried and didn't have kids I'd hop over there myself.

5. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

As expected liberals are more concerned about the environment than Americans having jobs. Ask yourself this as an American, what's more important to you, putting food on the table for your family and having a decent place to live in you can call home, or siding with liberals that chemicals they don't know about can cause future damage, so you can't have that job.

6. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

How about…

Ask yourself as a responsible human being on this one little habitable planet. What's more important: Right now? or your children's future?

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Boom towns are terrifying places for women and indigenous people, kind of like military bases.

Hopefully we keep this in mind in celebrating these jobs that only confirm peak oil has come and gone (hence the hugely expensive and dangerous techniques we now have to use all over the world, fracking).

8. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

You know what's ridiculous, is that the Dems want to have all these super restrictive environmental regulations, meanwhile in China they basically have none, so they get to have all the profit, all the jobs and import all their crap. Perhaps the pollutants are somehow magically contained in Asia.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Well if you need money now to feed, clothe, educate and shelter them so they can make it to the future...............

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Here in the Bay Area you can make $100K and still be considered "low income". :eek:

And much of China is a polluted ****hole with an inferior quality of life. So what?

I'm 100% opposed to fracking.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Tourism makes a hell of a lot of money and produces a hell of a lot of jobs and it benefits from environmental regulations.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018 ---
    That’s true.

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

I have no problems with sensible regulations. I'm not advocating for none. My point is getting folks back to work with decent paying jobs should take priority over hypothetical environmental concerns, unless it can be proven it will have a devastating environmental impact. Is that so unreasonable?

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Lucky Chinese.

[​IMG]

And, by the way, the Chinese pollution that just magically stays in China. It doesn't.

14. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

There's nothing hypothetical about pumping tons of undisclosed chemicals into the ground.

15. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

If Texas wants to pollute itself and can keep the pollution within its borders, I say let them. They won't have anyone to blame, but themselves.

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

You are raising a false dichotomy. It shouldn't have to be that the only way to have a decent job involves wrecking the environment. That requires some level of regulation and oversight, which the Trump administration is against.
    I get the sentiment you are expressing, but in reality not everyone in Texas supports this assault on the environment.

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I understand. They are a conservative that that doesn't like government in their lives. I say let them act out their wildest dreams and let them see for themselves where that takes them.

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I guess you haven’t taken a look at China in literally a decade. Things are bad, but they are clearly trying to cut down on pollution (at the very least in their population centers). They realize they have a massive problem and are actively working to change that. They’ve deployed more renewables than the US for many years in a row. They’re also cracking down hard on emissions that cause smog as they literally have to shut down manufacturing centers from time to time because of said smog.

It infuriated me to see people just through outdated tropes in regards to other country’s pollution and emissions because it’s an incredibly easy thing to look up.

19. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Their plan is to reach peak output in 2030, THEN they will start to reduce emissions by any sizable measure. So it's ok to heavily pollute for the next 11 years until your economy peaks, then we have to get really SERIOUS about the environment. What a joke...

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

...and the US’s approach (being the driving force behind fracking around the world as the technology was exported and pushed by the Obama administration) is different, how exactly? The amount of solar energy installed by China in the last 5 years makes them look like superheroes compared to the US. China’s not going to be able to break off fossil fuels overnight, but they have a TANGIBLE infrastructure being built and deployed at a staggering rate. We’re busy celebrating that we’ve become the biggest oil extractor in the planet again.

We’re the biggest polluters, and our military is the #1 polluter in the planet.
    Except the water cycle and atmosphere don’t work that way, but ok...

21. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Mostly minimum wage. Oil industry pays much more.

22. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I think people need to see the effects of massive pollution. Specifically, what China has seen, here and now in our backyard. Other wise, people will think "meanwhile in China they basically have none, so they get to have all the profit, all the jobs and import all their crap.".

23. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

We used to have pollution akin to modern day China's. It was even worse, in some regards, so many have seen it here. Even in my time there was significant pollution in areas like NY and LA and other factory towns. When I was a kid, I truly hated visiting my dad's old stomping grounds in Ashland, KY. It had hideous pollution from the refineries and steel mills in the area. It's a lot better now than it was then, thank goodness. And I got to experience China's pollution first hand when I lived there in the 70's. Not as bad as today, but still very bad back then. Coal dust was everywhere, and always in your nose, mouth and lungs. Things will get better there and they don't have to get bad here for us to continue getting better.

24. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I think it's more important to not cause mini-earth tremors which fracking causes. No amount of jobs are worth destabilizing the earth for a short term return with catastrophic environmental consequences.

25. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The people filling all those jobs and the towns, people and governments of those regions might well disagree with you. There isn't a whole hell of a lot out in West Texas but cows and scrub. I'm willing to bet everyone that lives out there and benefits from this current boom would disagree with you. Theirs is the opinion that counts, as they will bear the affects, if any, from this.