Need a mouse for MBP - Too many mixed reviews for a 1st time buyer to handle!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ptjh, Jul 26, 2009.

1. ptjh macrumors regular

Amazon reviews are confusing me greatly - some mice like the logitech VX and MX get a huge number of great reviews then there are some that have gone through 4 faulty mx's and the vx may be too small. For example the mx has 50 x 1 star reviews but 300 x 5 star reviews. The 470 has 100 5 star review but apparently you have to reboot your mac to make it work unless you remember to turn it on before your mac

The mighty mouse seems expensive, uncomfortable, and unreliable judging by reviews.

The microsoft 5000 seems to have problems with connecting ect as do some logitech mice according to reviews

Razer mice are too expensive apart from the deathadder

What is the deal with all these fancy buttons? Can they, for example, be used for shortcuts in ableton or scrolling through synth presets? That would be cool.

It DOES NOT need to be portable

It needs great battery life - i'm talking 3-6 months

Needs to be comfortable for right handed average sized man (hands) :D

Needs to last for years

Preferably bluetooth although there aren't many options so wireless would be ok since I need a USB hub anyway.

Preferably side scroll (I produce music so i'm always scrolling across the timeline)

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

For what it's worth, I love my MX Rev. It fits my hand perfectly, and the scroll is magnificent.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I doubt you could really find a mouse that is going to have 3+ months battery life. The Mighty Mouse might last you a week?

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I had my VX Nano for about a year and I changed the battery 2 times. For some reason, my VX Nano is stuck in hyper scrolling so I am getting a replacement from Logitech.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I have a logitech MX 610 ( replaced by 620 ) I have owned it for about 3 years and not a single problem with it by far the best wireless mouse I have ever owned very comfortable and the wireless connectivity is amazing I NEVER have it skip on me and it even reaches about 30 feet through my house. The batterie life is great with a standard batt I get about 1.5 months with a lithium ion batterie ( the more expensive kind ) I get about 3 months ( also note I use the mouse for about 14-18 hours a day ( yeah I know I have no life... lol ) )

6. tallguy macrumors regular

I get about a month out of mine with a decent pair of batteries.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

MX rev if u aren't going anywhere. get the Vx rev if the MX appears to have too many buttons.

8. Slovak macrumors regular

I'm searching for a wireless mouse as well. Why is it that most are USB wireless instead of Bluetooth? BT is built into most new laptops and would eliminate need for dongle and free up a USB port. Just curious if anyone has an explanation.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I only replaced my MM batteries three times over the period of a year. I use my computer for anywhere from 4-8 hours a day. I did turn it off while I wasn't using it.

Better connection is offered by an external dongle. It also has less clashes with wifi as bluetooth and wifi are on the same frequency.

10. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

logitech mx 1100.
    had many mice in the past, this is the best i have had.

please ask me questions, so happy with this mouse i would like to help you.

11. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I made a bit of progress today. I got to see the some of the logitech mice and hold them. My thoughts

The VX Nano and VX Revolution are far to small for my hands...like holding chopsticks :eek:

The MX 620 is the perfect size. So now I know the size it's onto the features..

Are the MX Revolution & MX 1100 a similar size and comfortable. If so it may be worth considering these more pricey models if they have the features.

I'd like a sideways scroll assignment and a zoom in my DAW (Ableton Live & sometimes logic). I like the quick search button but I think all 3 have these.
    The thing that puts me off a little is the mx rev's rechargeable whereas the others you can leave for months and months from what i've read, but it's not a massive deal.

Also do logitech mice interfere with your WIFI and vice versa?

Thanks

12. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I have the MX 620. These Logitechs have issues where a single click is registered as double clicks after some use. I've lived with it for the past year or so. I called and got a replacement yesterday though, and the process was pain free.

THe MX 620 feels too heavy. And I don't like the way the pointer moves -- it feels like there is a slight lag. Not large enough to be too noticeable but just barely there to be annoying. I've switched back to my wired Microsoft mouse.

13. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any mice without bad design flaws? I'd like one if that's possible :eek:

14. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I use the Logitech MX Revolution, but its a special edition in bluetooth. Battery life is good, not great. Its very expensive. You have to pay to play when it comes to mice.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Logitech mx5500 set. Includes the bluetooth MX revolution. Works great, but require steermouse to work perfectly, which is another 20.

16. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse -- $10-$20, cheap. They work flawlessly for me :) It's wired though. The one I'm using, I've used for close to a decade. It still works like a charm (with the Microsoft Intellimouse driver, which makes the pointer move just like in Windows).

17. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya you can assign anything to do anything and make it different for different programs. you could make sidways scroll the left and right mouse buttons if you want. i often do things like this if im doing very repetitive things but then change them back after im done.

only thing that bugs me with there software (i used to use usb overdrive which is amazing but i couldn't get two buttons to work so i switched) is that you have the default settings, and you change to suit your needs and then when you have to make it for another program it puts all the presets for your new program back to the presets the default was orignally at, not the ones you changed for the default.

and no they do not interfer with wifi or anything. i think (don't know) they are different frequencies anyway.

ya i never really liked the wheel on the thumb on the mx rev.
    my friend has one and i have used it but just never floated my boat. i think the wheel only really does two things anyway, and it doesn't actually rotate.