Need a new HD, and monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mynameisshawn, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mynameisshawn macrumors member

Hi, I have a pre unibody 17" MBP. It has a 200gb HD that is pretty much full. I'm wondering if replacing the HD would void my AppleCare? If it doesn't what would be the best deal for a 500gb or even a 1TB 7200RPM drive out there?

Also what would be a good external monitor that could support 1920x1200?

Thanks a bunch!

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No, replacing the hard drive is actually quite easy and simple on your computer, and it is a user replaceable part, therefore it does not void your warranty.

Also, if you have the money, my personal choice for a monitor would be a 24" Apple Cinema Display or an older 23" like I use. These can be had anywhere from $200-$600 on ebay depending on size, condition, ect. I love mine, although there are plenty of other cheaper alternatives that are availible.

3. mynameisshawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I've been looking at HD's, does anyone have a say in either of these?

500gb Hybrid or 500gb cheapie?

Also I'm not too opposed to getting a non :apple: monitor. As long as it's in HD, and works. But the bottom line is the $$$, if I can find a Cinema Display for cheap I'd be over it.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

lol, just go with the cheapie. I've used momentus hard drives for years in my macs and have never had a problem. For the extra money, it's really not justifiable for that other one, unless you *really* want to be a speed demon. That other drive will be a little faster, but in terms of typical day to day use you probably won't see a difference.