Need a New Monitor for Photography Purposes. IPS Wanted

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prodigee, May 3, 2010.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Ok so basically I am in the market for a new monitor, I would look at matte IPS monitor, but so far (and I haven't done that much research so far) I have only really found the Dell 2209wa which looks great but its only 1680x1050 and I would much prefer 1920x1200 or something to that extent. Those are really my only requirements matte and 1920+ but I also don't want to go above 24" because then it just starts getting too big (especially since it will be in a dorm room next year).

So any ideas would really be helpful. I will continue to research as well. Just wanted to see what you guys could suggest.

Thanks!

Kielan

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Dell U2410 or Apple Cinema Display (if you don't mind the glossy, it's a fabulous display).

Just a few more thoughts:

Be prepared to spend around $500-600. IPS Display's aren't cheap. Look for used/refurbished if you don't mind.

3. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't mind getting used/refurbs at all. I would get a Cinema Display if it weren't for the glossy.

What are your thoughts on a 23" ACD or something to that extent?

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'd try to stay away from the 23" ACD if possible. Not that it wasn't a fantastic monitor, but it used a CCFL backlight. It's going to look a lot dimmer than a newer display that uses LED for the backlight.

EDIT: Apparently the U2410 uses a CCFL backlight as well, albeit a new technology. But it's brightness out of the box will at least be more comparable to an LED backlit model than a display with a used CCFL backlight.

EDIT 2: I also want to note that I own neither of these displays, but if I were to purchase one, I'd buy either the Dell or the ACD.