Need a new monitor/TV that rotates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by koobcamuk, May 29, 2008.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Hi guys,

I would like a monitor, widescreen, over 20" that can rotate (90 degrees to portrait). I know Dell offer something of this ilk, but I am specifically asking you knowledgeable folk if you know of a monitor with SCART input or RGB.

This isn't technically mac related - but I will be running a mac from it, hence why I can't just go for a TV straight off the bat - I want the best of both worlds and wonder if it exists.

I'll be running game consoles on the RGB/SCART interface and DVI or VGA is fine for the mac.

Many thanks,

2. wako macrumors 65816

Dell has a monitor that has all the inputs you need...

Check out the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. It is pricey at $620 USD. Another alternative is the Gateway FHD2400. I got this monitor and it is pretty good since the Dell one is too expensive...

The things I have hooked up to my monitor are... my xbox360(HDMI), my macbook (DVI), and my PC(VGA), and my ps2(RGB) :)

3. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

perfect. I'll check out the dell. will sell my samsung i think. :)

thanks so much :)

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Just thinking of the future, RGB and Scart are a dying breed, your more likely to want more HDMI and DVI slots, most computers and games consoles now support these.

For instance you could probably get a much cheaper monitor and buy a PS3 (which will support older games considering you are talking about a PS2),

You could also simply buy a rotating stand instead of rotating monitor which will do the trick aswell!

5. wako macrumors 65816

Didnt you get the memo? HDMI, DVI, and VGA are all being phased out in the next couple years in light of the new standard called, "Display Port." Which the Dell monitor actually has ;)

If you grab a PS3 off the shelf right now they dont support PS2 games....

And since he is looking for a 24'' monitor, if you buy one without all the inputs, you are only saving 200-300 bucks... PS3 costs 400. You're short a bit...

6. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Thanks for all the comments guys - plenty to think about.

I didn't actually mention a PS2 because I don't own one. I have a Sega Saturn (SCART RGB), Dreamcast (VGA) and XBOX 360 (HDMI/VGA) that I would like to connect. I definitely don't want a PS3 as I don't find any appeal in the games (I can barely justify my xbox 360), but want the monitor for the Saturn and Dreamcast :)

Possibly connecting a mac mini up to it too.

The 24" monitor sounds awesome.

Thanks,
    Martin

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry about that. I sort of jumped in with things that you werent even asking for!

How about my one semi-useful idea. The chances of finding a monitor with all you want is more likely than one you want with a roatating base, surely a stand of some sort will save you some cash?

Sorry again!

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You might consider the Gateway FHD2400 it has a whole bevy of connectors and supports portrait mode. It is also considerably cheaper than the 24 inch Dell 2408WFP. Though it has one less DVI port and lacks the display port.

Ports: 1 HDMI, 1 D-Sub, 1 DVI-D, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 S-Video, 4 USB 2.0

I assume SCART refers to older RGB connectors Composite and S-Video. I never heard the term before and have never seen a monitor that uses this...

scartcable.jpg

Though from what I have read this is used in Europe. Is this still a normally seen standard that can be found on TV's and Monitors in Europe?

9. cube macrumors G4

All TV equipment in Europe comes with SCART (as far as I have seen).

10. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Yeh, all TVs in the UK have a SCART socket in them. It's a shame it's not a world standard. I think I can get composite for the Saturn, so that should be OK.

My current monitor is the Syncmaster from Samsung, which cannot be rotated easily to my knowledge...

Planning on selling that and getting a different monitor.

No need to be sorry. More often than not, people don't know what's on offer. I have quite an extensive list of criteria, but wanted to see what was recommended before putting people off with talk of old gaming systems. I am less bothered about future proof than many. the xbox 360 can take VGA and like it :)
    I care more about my dreamcast and saturn.

11. VirtualWorldx macrumors newbie

The Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP is simply amazing, excellent colors and design. A bit pricey but worth the money.

12. wako macrumors 65816

That was a monitor I was gunning for. But with their prices going for $750 USD, it is not worth it in my opinion. Competitors with pretty much all the same connection (2408 right now has DisplayPort, none others do but no electronics that I know of even uses it) go for only $500. If you just want you standard VGA and DVI then it racks it further down to only $250-$300. Dell has increased their prices way to much. I regret so badly now that I didnt take on a deal they had a year or two ago when the monitor was just 500 bucks! :(

13. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I might just scour ebay...