Need a new phone - iphone 4s or wait for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SteelBlueTJ, Jun 26, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am still using an older dumb phone from verizon that i got in 2009. No data plan, just a plain old flip phone. I always wanted an iphone but never did it. I was eligible for an upgrade last year but again just didn't feel like spending the money at the time. The front display on my phone finally died so I can't see the time or who's calling. I have been thinking about getting an iPhone 4s since I need a new phone. I hear the iPhone 5 is coming up probably in October again. I could technically still use my dumb phone for now just without the front display and tough it out til October, or upgrade. What would you guys do?

2. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I'd hold out for the new iPhone now. It's only three month away.

3. Cutterschoice macrumors member

It really depends, if you happy to wait then wait. Although if you’re the type of person and by the sounds of it you are, you get a phone and keep it, rather than upgrade every year then I’d get the 4s.

Have a look at some of the phones in store, see if you like the screen size of the 4s of if you would prefer bigger, I’ve bought every new iPhone since the 3 however I’m sticking with the 4s as I prefer the smaller screen size.

Plus the 4s still has Siri, and will get most if not all of the features in IOS6.

4. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

If I were to buy a used iphone 4 or 4s on eBay/Craigslist and had Verizon activate it, would it require a new 2 year contract? If not, then I could still upgrade to the 5 at the upgrade price when the time comes?

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Two excellent new choices are HTC One X, or the Samsung Galaxy S III.

As much as I enjoy my rather diminutive iPhone 4S, the spacious 4.7" screen on my HTC One X is far more useful for processing email, working on the Web, and all other tasks one buys a smartphone for.

I'm eagerly awaiting my pre ordered Galaxy S III. Each Galaxy Series S phone I've had, has been stellar.

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

No contract if you bring your own phone. Yes, you would still get the upgrade price this fall.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If it was me, I'd wait it out. If the iPhone 5 or whatever Apple decide to call it doesn't have a significantly upgraded screen, then I will stick with my 4S...I'm not shelling out big bucks if the screen remains the same size.

8. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i'm eligible for an upgrade now but i'm waiting to see what the next iphone will be like, it's only a few months away and if i don't care for it i can most likely get the 4s at a cheaper price just the way the 3gs and 4s have come down since the 4s came out...

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No, than you must do the exact opposite: if you only get a new phone once every 3, 4, 5 years, than I would advise SteelBlueTJ to wait a few months. The sixth generation iPhone, which everybody calls the iPhone 5, will probably be announced and released in either September or October. That means SteelBlue only has to wait two (July, August) to three months (July, August, October) before a new iPhone launches.

SteelBlueTJ, you currently have a 'dumbphone' and I believe you're likely only to upgrade your phone once every three, four, five years (maybe even longer). Thus, if you want an iPhone I would strongly advice you to wait. Don't forget: the newest models last the longest.

In the meantime, I'd advice you to ask one of your family or friends to see if they have an old phone somewhere which you can use for now.

So again, I strongly recommend you to wait two to three months. You'll most likely get a (much) better phone and the next-gen iPhone will obviously last longer (as in: get more updates and support) than the iPhone 4S.

If the 'iPhone 5', however, turn out to be a disappointment for you than you can still get an iPhone 4S (which will be $100 cheaper when the 'iPhone 5' launches). So waiting is, in my opinion, the best option: you will either buy an 'iPhone 5' which will have even more features than the iPhone 4S (for the same price the iPhone 4S currently costs), or you will get an iPhone 4S which will be $100 cheaper.

10. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I can see that you need a new phone badly right now. I would suggest that you get an iPhone 4S.

If you like the new iPhone that will come out probably in October, you can then upgrade next year so that many shortcomings can be then figured out if a new design is executed as rumored.

If you can get by with your current phone, you can then wait for the new iPhone.

11. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Same.