Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
...for my G5. I've tried several, including a Pyro AV. The issue I am running into is that I am pulling the video from old tapes, and I keep losing the signal. It's weird, because on my old G3 with built-in AV, I never have a problem with that.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks,

RD

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
RDReynolds said:
...for my G5. I've tried several, including a Pyro AV. The issue I am running into is that I am pulling the video from old tapes, and I keep losing the signal. It's weird, because on my old G3 with built-in AV, I never have a problem with that.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks,

RD

canopus makes a couple models that are well regarded. i have one and it works great.

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
I had a Canopus - it did the same thing. It would stutter constantly when using old VHS tapes. If you used commercial tapes, it would be fine. Have you run into this problem as well?

R~

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I have a PowerBook and went with Dazzle, it connects via FireWire and has worked very well for me. It's not professional quality, but for my purposes is more than suitable.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Dumb question, but could it be the VCR? I mean, do you have a different one that might output a stronger signal?

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Sounds like the VCR is having trouble timecode breaks, maybe get a new one with TBC.

I can also highly recommend Canopus boxes for analog to DV conversion.

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
RDReynolds said:
I had a Canopus - it did the same thing. It would stutter constantly when using old VHS tapes. If you used commercial tapes, it would be fine. Have you run into this problem as well?

R~

i haven't run into a problem with it yet. i don't encode that much, mind you. i do audio engineering and occasionally have to edit audio to video, so the canopus lets me do a conversion from the vhs deck to dv so i can make a little quicktime reference video to work to. but again, i've never had a problem with it and it was relatively cheap.

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Definitely not the VCR - I've tried it with three different ones. I've also tried it using a VCR hooked through another VCR (the tech at Canopus suggested that to boost the signal). I've tried it with different tapes as well.

R~

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
davecuse said:
I have a PowerBook and went with Dazzle, it connects via FireWire and has worked very well for me. It's not professional quality, but for my purposes is more than suitable.

What mode of the Dazzle do you use? I'd be willing to give that a shot...

R~

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
miniDV?

I've had good luck converting analog video/audio to digital by attaching s-video and stereo rca audio to the inputs of my miniDV camcorder and first recording the material to miniDV tape. Then, I use firewire to pull the digital content from the camcorder into my Mac.

Granted, this is a a two-step process, which is a little more time consuming, but it offers the benefit of resulting in an archivable miniDV copy and eliminates any issues with timecode errors.

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
Moof1904 said:
I've had good luck converting analog video/audio to digital by attaching s-video and stereo rca audio to the inputs of my miniDV camcorder and first recording the material to miniDV tape. Then, I use firewire to pull the digital content from the camcorder into my Mac.

Granted, this is a a two-step process, which is a little more time consuming, but it offers the benefit of resulting in an archivable miniDV copy and eliminates any issues with timecode errors.

yes, i'd think people with these cameras could bypass the canopus or other video cards entirely. i've seen it done and it certainly works.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
RDReynolds said:
What mode of the Dazzle do you use? I'd be willing to give that a shot...

R~

I used the Dazzle Hollywood, hooked through a FireWire cord to my powerbook, then using RCA cables to a VCR to import video, it worked flawlessly with iMovie. It also outputs to analog, but iDVD was the whole reason i got the Dazzle. It worked out beautifully for me.

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Hmmmm...I don't know if those are still available. I searched CDW, and found nothing. Weird.

RD

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I just checked Pinnacle's website, looks like the FireWire version was discontinued for some reason. You might be able to find one on eBay..

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Formac makes a Analog-DV bridge specifically for the mac. It even has TV software with it to watch tv through it.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Most likely the cables

Sounds like the cables you use are unreliable. I had a similar problem with a Canopus ADVC-100 when connected through the rear video in; a jiggle of the cable and the signal returned to normal.

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Sol said:
Sounds like the cables you use are unreliable. I had a similar problem with a Canopus ADVC-100 when connected through the rear video in; a jiggle of the cable and the signal returned to normal.

Nope, I tried completely different cables as well. The weird thing is that my old G3 captures everything perfectly - just at 320x240. 8(

RD

RDReynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
7on said:
Formac makes a Analog-DV bridge specifically for the mac. It even has TV software with it to watch tv through it.

Has anyone tried one of these? I'd be interested, but I hate to buy yet another capture device I have to send back...

RD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.