Need Advice... Airport Extreme Wireless Base Station Broken ... buy new? Not covered

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scottsdale, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

First, I was under the understanding that when I bought my AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station for $199 in June 2007 that it was covered by the Apple Care of my computer.

The WAN port is bad, so I took it into the store the other day and the GENIUS told me I was S.O.L.. As it had to be on same receipt as computer and applecare to be covered.

Is that right? I was told when I bought it that as long as I was using it with a computer under AppleCare warranty it was covered. Apparently that salesperson was no GENIUS! Is that right? I still have to believe this is wrong??? What to do?

Should I buy another or is this JUNK? Guy gave me option to buy a new one for $149???

Anyway to fix it? It says cable unplugged for the WAN port.

Any others with this problem?

Thanks for all advice???

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

According to http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

"The AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, MacBook Air SuperDrive, and Apple RAM used with your Mac. Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro customers may also register one Apple display for coverage, provided that the Mac and the display are purchased together."

It looks like displays have to be bought with the Mac, but Airport base stations just have to be used with the Mac. It doesn't say it has to be bought with the Mac.

Sounds like the Genius is wrong.

Try again with someone else, a manager, perhaps.

3. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Thanks for the Advice. ALL BE ADVISED ABOUT APPLE ARROWHEAD STORE

This is NOT the first problem, and LIE I have heard from Apple Arrowhead Mall Store. I warn all to be aware of problems with false information or outright lies from the Geniuses at this store.

Thanks to your link, I printed it out and took it back in. Disgusted I had to waste my time, but more disgusted to all of the others out $179 for something that was covered by AppleCare.

Use caution when going to Apple Arrowhead Mall Store in Arizona.

4. darshan macrumors member

so just out of curiosity

did you get it fixed? or did they give you a brand new one?

lemme know of your follow up

5. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

They do NOT service them. They gave me a new one. Said they do not take them apart. I really think the store just wanted to sell me a new one at $149. I fear this store is not at a level typical for Apple. BTW, Apple Arrowhead Mall Store. Buyer beware.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Glad to hear the issue has finally been resolved correctly.

It's up to you, but perhaps you should contact the store manager or call 1-800-MY-APPLE to file a complaint.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good to see that's taken care of. I think the information is NOT WELL KNOWN. If you have brought the info in when you first get there, they would have give you a new one.