Need advice, get rid of MBP 15 due to nvidia or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoskO, Apr 5, 2009.

1. RoskO macrumors member

Hey all, I find most threads here enjoyable, and filled with a variety of angle/opinions so I'm asking for some advice. I currently have a MBP Penryn (2.6ghz / 4gb / 320gb WD black) built on the 11th week of March 2008. I don't have applecare and it's out of warranty. I haven't had one issue yet, but reading post after post from MBP owners (and others pc owners) with the 8600 chipsets, I'm gettin a little worried. I now rely on this machine day to day, and I absolutely can't have it die, or not come out of sleep on me like I read happening to others. I got rid of my PC recently and perform all of my windows and linux programming on this machine. That being said, There is nothing wrong with the system, it runs fine, haven't seen anything glitchy with video, everything works and I'm completely happy with the machine....other than the piece of mind part. I've been thinking about selling it and grabbing a 15" newer unibody, even though I sorta like the "old" style better for a variety of reasons, I still can't find any other laptop I'd rather have at the moment. I realize apple says they will extend the gpu warranty a year beyond the standard warranty, but I still feel a little caught in the middle. If I chose to sell my current setup I can actually get a really good value for it, considering it's a year old. For a few hundred dollars I project I could have pretty close to the same system, if I bought a refurb 15" uni.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. I read as much as I could on the video issues, I was searching for some way to tell if mine would or could be affected, but couldn't find any information on how to tell which nvidia serial or model number is affected.

Any thoughts welcome....

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

how much of a "worrier" are you? mathematically the odds are in your favor. but if it is essential that the computer works there is always that saying, better safe than sorry. if it were me i would go for the new unibody just because i like it and its new and shiny.:p but if you like the one you have now and it's working perfectly just keep it. what you could do is put aside like $2000 and if and when that day come that your computer does break down you can go right out and replace it.

3. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

Good point about the math of it....I kinda like math. Speaking of Math, I sorta like the better safe than sorry too....being that I'd save $2000 if I didn't wait for it to break and it actually did.....hmm. I feel like a dog chasing my tail.

4. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

In addition to my previous notes, It's not that I don't like the new MBP....I think I'm just hooked on my current model (things like double tap for windows right click in vmware, matte screen etc). I think I could deal with the glossy screen, I've had both, but I'm not sure about the track pad changes. Anyone use the "right click" option like I do....on everything? I'm sort of a right click whacko and rely on it even in osx. I hope they kept the same behavior with the new.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well the new track pad has that option. i usually use an external mouse cause i use my UMBP as a desktop replacement, but im like you that i use the right click a lot. and the two finger tap works just as well on the new one. when i use it away from my desk i often use the two finger right click so i think you'll be fine.

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Well, Apple covers the 8600M GT for 2 years. If it doesn't break at the end of 2 years, that probably means your 8600M GT is fine.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I love the multitouch trackpad on the unibodies. Scrolling, two finger tap for right click, never having to actually click and just tapping everything.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

but there is always still a chance.:rolleyes:

9. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

You hit the nail on the head. That little chance it could happen sucks.....especially when I can get quite a bit for it on CL for sale. I may have to grab a new 15 and just upgrade the ram, or find a refurb with 4gb. I wouldn't see a difference from a 2.53 to my 2.6, and I can swap the hard drive in the new one even easier than my current (like dissecting an animal).

I'm almost sold. Maybe I should have titled the thread "help nudge me over the edge".

10. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I thought last year dragged on for what seemed like forever.;)

In my experience, and I'm guessing you are the same if you took the time to post this, two things can happen; you will either keep it and worry about it every time you look at it, or you will sell it.

As a side note, the pre-speedbump 15" 2.53GHz MBP just dropped to $1999 in the refurb store. Does that influence your decision any?

11. cathyy macrumors 6502a

If it's really just the fear of hardware breaking down that makes you want to sell it off, how about looking for an insurance company that covers repairs and sign a 2-year contract with them or something.

However if it's due to any other reason such as you envying the newer Unibody MBPs that's driving you to do this, then yea, go for it. :p

12. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I saw that earlier....it's an "ok" price, I guess compared to the apple retail price it's a great deal, compared to other brands it's in line. I've found some locals that are pretty good as well on CL.

13. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

I guess my pride kicks in ......I don't feel I should have to worry about a computer as expensive as this MBP was.....I really shouldn't have to worry about an expiration date. I guess any laptop could croak for a variety of reasons, but knowing this one is prone drives me nuts.

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

It would be real interesting to see how many prev. gen. MBPs actually had failures with the GPU/motherboard compared to the number that didn't. I'm sure Apple has a pretty good database on this, but it would be something I'd really like to know. What are the actual odds my 8600GT is going to fail within 3 years under regular use?

So far, mine is at one year, now with Applecare... but not a twitch, or hint of graphics issues.

The only problem I see with not having anything to back up your productivity is that lots of things can go wrong, not just the gpu. It's the nature of electronic products. A little static electricity at the wrong time, in the wrong place can put your MBP into a very disabled place. Maybe you'd be better off adding an iMac to the mix, and sync the two computers. You'll probably pay a little bit more, but have two machines, rather than a single unibody MBP that could also be looking at gpu issues, for all we know.

15. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

I use time machine and that's easy, and I have a Lenovo laptop I can use while I'm down...but I'm not sure how I'd get to files from time machine from my vista machine :). I can't see buying an imac just for redundancy of a laptop that is known to fail, that seems goofy to me as I already have a 24" lcd. edit: Actually a big reason for not having 2 systems is the annoyance of synchronizing and configurations. I'd rather just have one system with my apps/websites/client info so I don't need to constantly do everything twice (beyond file sync). It's just always been a bit of a hassle to sync systems like that...IMO.

Does anyone know if the dell 1530 xps machines, or other laptops for that matter are having the exact same issues with the 8600gt/gs chips? I read that they do...but I see a lot larger uproar on the mac side about it. I sorta attribute that to mac people expecting more since they paid a hell of a lot more, is that the most likely reason? If so....maybe I should just take my chances, maybe it is a small subset, but from what I've read the video is "guaranteed" to go out at some point from the way it was designed.