Need advice! - Getting out of AT&T, moving to Verizon, and iP5 w/ Unlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vbman213, May 22, 2011.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Ok, I purchased my iPhone 4 (AT&T) in July, 2010. I am very interested in selling my iPhone 4 (which is in near perfect condition!) while it still has substantial market value (i.e. sell before iPhone 5 is announced!) and use one of my "dumb"-phones during the wait for the iPhone 5.

Here is my plan:

1) Terminate my contract with AT&T
    2) Selling iPhone 4 (No Contract, 32GB, AT&T, GREAT CONDITION, etc.) on eBay or Craigslist for around $450 to $500. (This is what they seem to be auctioning for atm.)
    3) Use money from the sale to pay for the early termination fee! (I will also be getting my AT&T Security Deposit back, which is $100)

$450 - $225 + $100 = $325 (At this point, I am out of my AT&T contract!)

4) Activate my contract-free "dumb-phone" on Verizon. Will only be costing me $9.99 per month thanks to family share plan!
    5) Wait.... Wait.... Wait....
    6) Purchase iPhone 5 on my family's verizon plan.
    7) Pray I can still get unlimited data!

Right now, I pay around $65 for my AT&T plan (450 minutes, 200 MB data, no texting). While on my family share plan with Verizon, I could have unlimited data and nearly cut my bill in half! (I'm a poor college student lol)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My guess is that Verizon will eliminate the unlimited data plan before the next iPhone comes out.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

100 percent this is going to happen.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Just get a Verizon Palm Pixi for around $50 contract free online. Activate it with $30 unlimited data plan and no contract since your bringing your own device. Wait for iPhone 5 to upgrade to a contract with unlimited data...

5. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh! That's smart! =)

I like this!

Anyways, last I heard it could be as late as September until the iPhone 5 is released? Any thoughts/comments/opinions on this?

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

^ But when you sign a new contract with the new iPhone 5, by then unlimited data plans will be history. When you sign the contract, it will be under the new terms with tiered data pricing.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

8. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

You don't think Verizon will allow Grandfathering?

9. ap3604, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

Verizon will allow grandfathering of unlimited data the same way Att does. Don't listen to the naysayers just do the pixi trick and you will get exactly what you want.

10. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

If you are buying the iPhone 5 and you want it at the subsidized price, you must sign a contract. If you sign the contract, you are agreeing to tiered pricing since they won't have unlimited anymore.

Simple as that. The Pixi trick won't work.

11. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

You will be grandfathered in until you sign another contract in which you agree to the new terms. You will have unlimited data on the Pixi for sure but when you go out to buy the iPhone 5 with a new contract, this will change.

12. aneftp macrumors 601

I doubt it. Carriers can do whatever they want.

If u want the new iPhone they can set whatever terms they want if u want that phone to work on their network

Both ATT and Verizon force u onto data plans even if you buy one of their phones full price or on the market.

Data is new cash cow for carriers and they want to maximize profits by restricting your usage.

Unlimited cell phone data will soon be a thing of the past thanks to those who illegally tether 20-50GB each month. Cell phone companies know the only way to curb these abuses and maximize profits is to instill tiered data plans.

I just find it very hard to use more than 5GB data per month unless you are purposely using cell data because either your work restricts or doesn't have wifi. Or you don't have broadband at home.

13. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but where have you been during the past 12 months? AT&T only forced NEW CUSTOMERS onto the NEW data plans. I clearly remember this when they announced tiered data plans.

However, I do agree that there could be a strong possibility that buying a subsidized iPhone 5 would mean signing a contract that could potentially NULL my unlimited data plan. However, didn't AT&T allow grandfathering of unlimited data onto subsidized iPhone 4s?

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

So sure of yourself eh? :rolleyes:

So your saying that anyone who had an iPhone 3G with unlimited data an upgraded to the iPhone 4 lost their unlimited data???

Would any of the thousands of old iPhone 3g owners that upgraded and kept their unlimited data even though signing a contract please tell chris2k5 that he is wrong :p

OP if you have any questions just PM me since I don't like arguing with other people's opinions instead of facts.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Op, even if the iphone 5 is delayed until september, hopefully the pixi will be enough to entertain you until then.

16. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

If buying a Pixi guarantees that I will be able to purchase an iPhone 5 with an unlimited data plan, I'm sure it will be MORE than enough to entertain me lol

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon has said you would be able to be grandfathered in unlimited data ... so i wouldn't worry about it. should be pretty entertaining. you'll be able to get some apps, lock in unlimited data and try webOS for $58 without signing a contract. that seems like a good deal to me.

18. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Different ball game with Verizon. Clearly you haven't deal with Verizon.

Once Verizon removes the unlimited plan, it will be gone from their systems so when you activate an iPhone 5, they can only add back on the tiered plans. The unlimited plan won't be an option in the system for them to add back on.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's how it is with AT&T. Once you remove unlimited data, that option is gone forever. I am sure that there is some way for AT&T to add it back on, but im sure its not easy and they won't take their time to do so.

20. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Exactly, and you'll be spending hours on the phone and in many cases they can't do anything. The reps can only do things they have on their computer.

So either way, there will be no iPhone 4S/5 with an unlimited data plan. When you buy, you sign a contract with the new tiered pricing and that is the only option.

Even if you buy off contract, the iPhone 4S/5 when activated, the system will default to the new tiered plan.

When the day comes, I'll refer back to this thread and point out ap3604 specifically.

21. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Yep, Verizon has said you would be able to be grandfathered in unlimited data ... so i wouldn't worry about it. should be pretty entertaining. you'll be able to get some apps, lock in unlimited data and try webOS for $58 without signing a contract. WHILE chris2k5 IS STUCK ON ATT TRYING STAY WITHIN HIS 2GB ATT TIERED DATA LIMIT WHILE BEING OVERCHARGED FOR DATA LOL!

22. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I'm actually on Verizon. And I suspect you and some of the other users pushing the Pixi and that NewEgg link are the same person. Hidden agenda?

23. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Whatever dude, enjoy that 2GB att tiered data plan!

24. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Verizon has the unlimited data plan. Did you not know this?

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, you are wrong ... troll.
    You have no idea what you are talking about.