Need advice.. have absolutely no idea what to do...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanej399, Sep 15, 2013.

1. shanej399 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I really am in need of a new phone. I have an Iphone 4, and I would love to continue to use it. However, even on verizon i get dropped calls and stuff sometimes in my locations because of the terrible 3g signal it gets from my iphone! Additionally, my iphone is cracked and I have to talk on speaker phone to even hear somebody! The regular speaker doesn't work! I admittidly, have had this phone for over three years now and haven't kept it in the best condition, so a lot of it is my fault.. but I am in need of an upgrade..

With the 5s coming out next week, I feel like that would be a great option. However, I don't want to lose my unlimited data that I have with verizon by buying it on contract. Additionally, I don't think they are even selling it on launch day without a contract for verizon.

I'm not sure if I should switch to sprint to get unlimited data - as i have heard their coverage is terrible in some spots.. and during the summer i live in a very rural area.. where even verizon struggles sometimes. I have to have unlimited data though because during the summer I only have access to satelite internet, so for any streaming I'd have to use my iphone.

I know no one can really tell me the best option, but I just need to know what my options really are for the 5s. Is leaving verizon for sprint a terrible idea? I would love to keep my unlimited data with verizon, but paying $800 for a phone just seems like way to much.....

I'm not sure, please help! thanks.

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You could buy a used Verizon iPhone 5. It would be a big improvement over your 4 and a whole lot less money than a brand new 5s.

3. shanej399 thread starter macrumors newbie

that is an option that I am considering as well.. Not sure if i should make the jump from verizon to sprint just to get the 5s...

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Well, you already say that Verizon is terrible signal wise for you then Sprint is not going to help. If Sprint had good signal where you were at you would be roaming on it's network due to Verizon / Sprints agreement.

I'd try ATT instead since they have the 2nd largest network behind Verizon.

Give up unlimited, it's not worth it paying unsubsidized prices to keep it if you don't have good signal.

5. shanej399 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd have actually decent signal on Verizon with LTE. I have a friend on Verizon with an Android LTE phone, and he gets a nearly flawless signal.. it's just that 3g sucks!!

and as before mentioned, unlimited is a big deal to me because of not having any wifi available for streaming or anything during the summer.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…you could try an Out of Warranty replacement with Apple. $200+ dollars and I assume it would be a simple switch.

Apple also has a trade in program where you could apply the value of your 4 to the new 5s or the 5c. Not sure how much you'd get in value for your phone considering the problems you mention.

I'm with Sprint, but I don't drink the Sprint Koolaide so all I will say is find out where Sprint is in it's Network Vision upgrade for your area. The best place to check for that would be s4gru.com.

You don't mention where you live, but if Sprint has rolled out LTE in your area then 3G will also be improved. Sprint also tends to cover rural areas where Verizon does not.

However, I would not recommend going with Sprint if LTE is not started or is in the early stages in your area. 3G is slow as hell and while Unlimited Data is great, getting it through a coffee stir straw is not. Sprint anticipates completing NV by mid-2014, but the date has already slipped once and the major problems right now is that the fiber optic backhaul vendors are being extremely slow to deliver backhaul. Upgrades have been made, but because of this there is nothing to hook the new equipment up to.

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Well, if LTE signal is good then that changes your original post entirely.

Stick with Verizon and either get an iPhone 5 off Craigslist or pay full retail for the 5c.

8. shanej399 thread starter macrumors newbie

i live in nashville and knoxville TN throughout the year, but during the summer I'm in a city called Dickson in Tennessee. i have checked the service for sprint there and it doesn't look terrible... but not sure it's obviously not as good as verizon's.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Try looking through here.

10. shanej399 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is sprint's coverage in my area. the data looks incredible! not sure if that's legit though haha i have my doubts. the voice looks iffy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

look at my last post :) thanks

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do not trust the Sprint maps. They are exaggerated or absolutely false with the intent to make Sprint look like they have better coverage than they actually do. The Sprint BAW forums are littered with people who demand to know why they are getting no service when the maps state that they are solidly in an area of service.

I would check out sensorly.com to get a real sense of the service in your area.

12. shanej399 thread starter macrumors newbie

i checked that site and verizon's service is a little better as expected.

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Ill tell you I live in a small town about 15 minutes from a city. At my house my 3G speeds are around 1 Mbps... When I drive to Lexington where I work I'm getting 14.4 Mbps down. For some reason just 15 minutes down the road my service is great, but at my house it is awful. That's Sprint for ya...