Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
I was in line during launch date and ended up getting a Space Gray 64 GB despite not wanting it and wanting the gold. But I knew I would continue trying to find a gold 64 in my return window. I did just find one and bought on to online at a local Apple Store to reserve it. It costed 649 and total was 692 without an upgradeable line which was suprisingly cheap. Now I still have my Space Gray activated on my line. Should I return that one first, then pick up the gold, then return the gold and rebuy the gold at the upgrade cost? Or Should I just sell the space gray on ebay or craigslist for 700-800 and then just switch the sim cards from gray to gold.

Any advice would be helpful

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I was in line during launch date and ended up getting a Space Gray 64 GB despite not wanting it and wanting the gold. But I knew I would continue trying to find a gold 64 in my return window. I did just find one and bought on to online at a local Apple Store to reserve it. It costed 649 and total was 692 without an upgradeable line which was suprisingly cheap. Now I still have my Space Gray activated on my line. Should I return that one first, then pick up the gold, then return the gold and rebuy the gold at the upgrade cost? Or Should I just sell the space gray on ebay or craigslist for 700-800 and then just switch the sim cards from gray to gold.

Any advice would be helpful

well it sounds like you can make several hundred dollars by selling it yourself, vs. list price minus a restocking fee at the Apple store.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
well it sounds like you can make several hundred dollars by selling it yourself, vs. list price minus a restocking fee at the Apple store.

Will there be any problems switching my sim card from one iphone to a new one or is it pretty flawless ?

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Will there be any problems switching my sim card from one iphone to a new one or is it pretty flawless ?

No problem at all. I've done it many times. It is seamless and the phone activates immediately with the new sim card, as long as its active of course.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Full price without upgrade is $649.99 + tax = 692.00 which is approx. 7% it sounds like

But if he bought a 64GB, full price would be $849 + tax, not $649. Maybe that is why he is wondering? Sounds like he got an early upgrade somehow.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
But if he bought a 64GB, full price would be $849 + tax, not $649. Maybe that is why he is wondering? Sounds like he got an early upgrade somehow.

Ah, didn't see the 64GB part. Did he trade in an old phone maybe? Usually early upgrades are like the cost of the upgrade + $200, so that would put him around $600??

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Ah, didn't see the 64GB part. Did he trade in an old phone maybe? Usually early upgrades are like the cost of the upgrade + $200, so that would put him around $600??

It does sound like and early upgrade to me. If he was able to get two phones with some sort if discount, maybe it was just luck or some weird system glitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.