Need Advice, Is iPhone right for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoozx, Mar 26, 2013.

1. zoozx macrumors 6502

zoozx

I like all the features the iPhone offers but since I work at home and have access to a computer and the internet I would only be using it when i'm not at home.
    My problem is with the contracts and monthly costs.
    The cheapest I can find, is going to be about $90 a month with taxes.

I will rarely text, I hate seeing people addicted to every little message about nothing and then have to text back nothing right away.
    People glued to there phones in a restaurant.
    Thats not me.

I'm not a big talker on the phone, but when you need it you need it.
    Having access to the internet and the number of helpful aps , compass, timer, camera, navigator, and so on is what really will be what I will use it for.

$90 a month, $1,100.00 a year,
    Really, is that what everyone is paying to have a smart phone???
    Seems nuts when I see all these kids playing with them.

Am I missing something here with contracts?

2. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

No, I don't think the iPhone is for you. Get an iPad mini, if all you're going to be doing is net, apps, etc.

3. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Just the ones that locked themselves into a 2 year contract with a subsidized phone.

Rather than pay $200 for an iPhone and $2400 for service over 2 years, you can buy it for $650 and pay just $1200 over 2 years for service with Net10, ST, etc.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. $160/month covers 3 devices for me.

Doesn't sound like it. You need to do whatever works for you. The iPhone doesn't sound like a good fit based on what you've said so far. Get a feature phone and save. Or go prepaid.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've used both the 3G and 4 on AT&T PAYG, would imagine it would work the same with a 4S or a 5.

Then don't text on your new phone. I myself find iMessage great as my GF lives across the country, but there's nothing making you use it.

Again, you're not requiered to use your phone that way.

I use my phone in a way that suits me, doesn't really matter to me how othr people use theirs.

Well most kids have their parents pay their bill, do you wonder the same thing about every smartphone out there? Because they all cost about the same.

Yup, you can buy off contract or use in the way I described above.

6. zoozx thread starter macrumors 6502

zoozx

I guess I should have also added,

I'm putting my house up for sale in the Midwest and moving across country to Oregon.

I have to find an Apartment in Oregon for a year.
    Look for property to buy and build a house on.
    Run around looking for parts for the house.

All the time, taking care of my 85 year old mother who is living with me because she is limited and needs me to care for her so I will need to be accessible by phone in case she has a problem.

I'm trying to justify spending this money but i don't think i have a choice when i look what i just wrote.:confused:

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yes, you have the option of NOT buying a contract, but you will be putting up $600 up front for a unsubsidized phone. For some people this works, it's simple math if you know, on the average, how many minutes you consume voice calling, and how much data, in bytes, used monthly.

Voice u should know, data is tough if this is your first smartphone. U can commit to doing your Internet research only at the apartment and only use smartphone data on the road for the occasional googlemap should keep cellular data usage to a minimum where u can buy a $30/month package.

8. 725032 Guest

I would get a more basic phone, like a nokia on a no contract pay as you go plan.

An iphone is not needed here and will cause you financial problems in the long run.

9. Kruzzz macrumors newbie

Kruzzz

Wow thats a lot for smartphone bills guys
    55$ with taxes
    For 6gb of data
    200 min
    Unlimited sms
    Cant beat that plan who-hoo

10. zoozx, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013

zoozx thread starter macrumors 6502

zoozx

I was thinking of getting an iPad and doing as some suggest.

If I didn't need to be accessible at all times for my elderly mother, I would.

As far as some of the buy the unlocked phone with slightly cheaper plans.
    I will probably be in locations that have questionable coverage the majority of the time with ATT and Verizon. I'm not sure how the would compare in this dept.

It looks like AT&T has a individual plan for $40 for 450 minutes $30 for 3GB data and .20 per text, which i won't use...$70 + tax so probably $80 a month.

11. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

When you get a smartphone, you will discover a great many things that your smartphone can do. Until you experience one, you won't understand why so many people are glued to their phones. I didn't expect to be glued to mine before I got one.

12. scaredpoet, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

People use smartphones for stupid things. But there are people who actually make use of them for "legitimate" purposes as well. SMS and iMessage have serious uses just as much as they have silly uses.

Regardless of the reason, it IS that person's individual choice on what they use, why they use it, and what they pay for it. If they have the means, or someone else with the means willing to pay for it, then good for them. You, nor anyone else, really has no authority to judge whether their usage of a smartphone is legitimate or not.

It seems to me you're trying to talk yourself out of using an iPhone because you feel it's silly to have one, for the cost required. If that's the case, then the answer is simple: don't get one. If you see a specific use for a smartphone that you feel would apply to your life, then feel free to buy one then. But that day isn't today, and that's really all that needs to be said about it.

Ultimately, it is not up to us to try to convince you why you should get one, if you're against the idea. No more than it is your role to try to tell someone why they are stupid for how they use their smartphone.

Best of luck with your move to Oregon.

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Same questions I have asked myself for little I would use it. I will only use the GPS on occasions, Camera on occasions, email once in a while, and some web browsing, nothing more. I to have a computer at home that is used daily, so no real need for the expense and small screen. And "UNLESS" you have the money, and just like having this phone just in case for the above mentioned activities, the iphone or any other smartphone is pointless, and costly.

Most that buy this phone, in my opinion come in two categories. Younger kids that want to text all the time instead of using the phone to communicate. Want to play games, listen to music, and watch Youtube stuff. The second category are grown-ups that use it for business, and need a small computer/phone to accomplish a number of tasks away from the office.

14. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I frequently use my phone as a "Swiss army knife" for the modern world, especially when I'm running around in this manner. You may consider the high cost the price of mobile flexibility and connectivity, suitable for the type of work you want to do.

Smartphones are so versatile that they can be anything you want them to be, really. For me that means it's the ultimate modern tool.

Your alternative is a basic phone and a separate tablet with Internet connectivity. Cheaper, but less convenient (2 devices) and slightly less mobile (larger size).

15. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

One benefit I could see is if you were to setup a webcam in your apartment that you could view from your phone. Then you could check in on your mother while you were running about without disturbing her by calling, thus avoiding her having to get up to answer the phone and risk falling.

Smartphones are just like any other technology. By itself it's not going to be a life altering device. What truly matters is how you use it. Yes, you see fools who are glued to their phones day and night. You also see people glued to televisions day and night as well, but there are few who will argue that televisions aren't important for staying up with current events. It's also true that you can waste days and weeks of your life online doing nothing, but personally every real job I've ever had I've gotten through the internet.

What I would suggest is that you research options for how a smartphone will be useful in your specific situation, instead of focusing on the stereotype. Once you've done the research and have the information you need, then decide whether it's worth the expense for you. This is something that nobody on an internet forum is going to be able to tell you.

16. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I think you should just get a basic no frills phone.

Smartphones are that very thing - 'smart'. I use mine for absolutely everything both at home and work. It fills every void, be it entertainment, communication, information or other wise. I have a MacBook but unless I need to use work applications and software, or want to do heavier browsing all I use is my phone. iPad is a good go between though.

As for 'kids' being addicted to texting - I'm 30 and use text messages to communicate with customers, friends and family. Saves all the filler conversations during a call and gets to the point. Wouldn't be without iMessage now.

17. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

I'd be thinking more along the lines of buying a Nexus 4 and the getting the cheapest contract or even pre-pay with enough data usage for what you think you would use.

18. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Airvoice wireless has $10 for 250 minutes/texting per month. Since you don't text/rarely talk, this could be a very good plan for you. At home or anywhere where there's wireless, you can use google voice/talkatone on iPhone to make calls and text for free as well

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

If you have to ask strangers, you've already answered your own question. You don't need an iPhone.

20. Glickmandan macrumors member

well, you may not need a iPhone, maybe a iPad is more suitable for me.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You absolutely don't need an iPhone. Hardly anybody does. What you miss, OP, is that the kids aren't paying $90 for their line. They are almost certainly on a family plan where their line can cost as little as $35 per month, as an example, depending on the network.

Really the fact that you work at home is irrelevant IMO. So is the fact that you don't text. As long as you see yourself using the Internet on the phone when you are out and about, that's really what you pay for. I assume you already have a mobile phone, so you could subtract whatever you are paying for that from your monthly rate.

As other have mentioned, you can also go with a pay as you go company, although you won't get lte. You can certainly buy a phone used for $100+ off of retail as well. Plenty of phones, especially 4/4S out there for really good prices.

22. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Definitely check out Airvoice's plans since they have a few different affordable ones and use AT&T's towers.