Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
I'd like to get an external monitor, keyboard, etc. for my son so he actually sits at a desk from time to time . . . but have no idea what to look for.

I can get a really good older Apple Cinema Display . . . but the adapters to go with it will end up costing more than the monitor!

So, what the best way to go if I want something relatively inexpensive? Should I just look for a used PC monitor? If so, what adapters would I need?

I've never used a laptop in "clamshell" mode before . . . so appreciate any advice you can give me!

golemB

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
I'd like to get an external monitor, keyboard, etc. for my son so he actually sits at a desk from time to time . . . but have no idea what to look for.

I can get a really good older Apple Cinema Display . . . but the adapters to go with it will end up costing more than the monitor!

So, what the best way to go if I want something relatively inexpensive? Should I just look for a used PC monitor? If so, what adapters would I need?

I've never used a laptop in "clamshell" mode before . . . so appreciate any advice you can give me!

Clamshell mode is great. Just keep in mind it takes a minute for the MBP to first go to sleep (when you close the lid) and then wake up into clamshell mode (when you plug in the monitor, mouse, and keyboard and move the mouse or press a key). Alternately, you can use both displays simultaneously without having to sleep first, although that can be ergonomically awkward and the sizes won't match.

It's pretty inexpensive to find a Mini DisplayPort (or Mini DVI) adapter to output to DVI or even HDMI - try Amazon (much cheaper than Apple). Just make sure you find the correct output for your MBP's year of production, and the correct input for whatever monitor you buy. PC monitors can be quite cheap, and sometimes you can get a deal on some of the more recently outdated Apple Cinema Displays. You probably want to avoid a monitor that only inputs VGA, since DVI (or HDMI) has a cleaner pure digital signal and is more compatible with other devices.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Here at work we all use the Haans-G series of monitors. They're bright and crisp and they seem to be a great value for the money.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
Here at work we all use the Haans-G series of monitors . . .

Oh good - I think I saw one of those on craigslist. But, and I'm going to need some help here, since this is a PC monitor, what adapter do I need: a simple mini-display port -> DVI . . . or something else?

My concern, by the way, with older Apple Cinema Displays, is that they require the very costly DVI->ADC adapter . . . and there's no getting around it, since the monitor port carries both signal and power!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.