Need advice on how I should "buy" the iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkel777, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jkel777, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

jkel777 macrumors 6502a

Alright, so I've got a bit of a dilemma...

I just checked Apple's website for upgrade eligibility, and I won't be eligible for an early upgrade until 9/21/14, since I got the 5s on launch a year earlier. However, if the rumors are true and the phone releases on the 19th, I won't be eligible for an early upgrade until two days later, which by then, most of the iPhones will have probably sold out.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that I'm going to buy/pre-order the phone on launch (yes, I know two days is practically nothing, but I'm extremely impatient with these launches).

That got me thinking about upgrade options. If I were to wait until the 21st, that would cost me $549 (if I bought the "middle" storage option, whether it be the 32 or 64 with the iPhone 6), and then when/if I upgrade to the 6s, it'd be another $549, coming out to $1100.

If I were to buy the phone outright at $749, I'd be eligible for a full upgrade for the 6s at $299, which comes to a total of $1050, saving me $50. I was going to go for this, until I read somewhere that Apple doesn't allow purchasing an unlocked, off-contract iPhone until a month or so after release.

I could also buy it full-priced at $749 while also signing a new two-year contract, which seems like the likely scenario.

Then I started doing some research on AT&T Next. I've heard bad things about it, but thought it might be worth a look, in my case, since I tend to buy each iteration of the iPhone every year.

So my question is which option would be my best? Any thoughts on AT&T Next for me? The best option would probably be waiting until the 21st, but I would really like to have it on or near launch.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thorough!

TL;DR Basically I can't get the iPhone 6 for anything less than $749 at launch. Is AT&T Next worth it then?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

TL: DR

But just wait for dates, pricing and official info to get released. No use in worrying over nonexistent problems.

AT&T usually adjusts all upgrade dates to match the release date of the latest iPhone, so just wait.

3. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha just added a TL;DR section :cool:

Yeah that's probably true. I didn't know AT&T did that, but it makes sense that they would.

Thanks for the help!

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Did they do that for the 5S? I know in the past they have adjusted dates but I thought they pretty much nipped that in the butt recently.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Go in to ATT early on launch day. They will order (upgrade) you as they dont care about 2 days. If they do care, he will post date the upgrade but your phone is still reserved. Simple really.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Ya I'm with you I really don't want $35 added to my bill every month but not having to worry about selling and such every year might be worth it.

7. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah maybe, but I'd really like to avoid the lines and just order online. I'm considering that as an option though.

Any comments on AT&T Next in my situation?

----------

So you're saying AT&T Next could be worth it?

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah. I mean early upgrade you only save $200 so your paying $650 (64gb) sell the previous model for $400 that's $250 out of pocket but you had to come up with the $650 up front. Att next 12 months your paying like $350-$400 over the course of the year but new phone on launch day every year never have to worry about upgrade dates or finding a buyer for the phone. Will make the people's lives that sell in August every year and use a flip phone for a month a lot easier. So your losing $100 or so doing it this way but it is convenient. Or you could start it this way and pay it off a month before the new phone comes out and still resell and lose nothing.

9. 0000111, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

0000111 macrumors member

This thread has a lot of people talking about NEXT, so it might be useful to you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19529231#post19529231

It seems like it is priced competitively, compared to purchasing an unlocked device. But, I would wait until the prices are actually out before deciding which course to take. I'm on a contract, and upgraded at 18months without a fee, I do believe... but don't quote me on that.

Also, though pre-ordering is quite nice, I bought my iPhone 5S the second day it was released at a Radio Shack. No lines, plenty of devices, albeit only the bottom-level storage during initial launch (which I think is the same for Apple stores?...also hazy on this as well.)

Also, though I understand why, the fact that your title says "buy" in quotations makes it seem like an illegal operation hahaha

Just wait till the keynote, and don't start worrying until then :)

10. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's true! Seems like Next might be a good option for me, but I'm obviously going to wait until the keynote and pricing is announced. Thanks for the help and clarification!

Yeah, I think you're eligible for an early upgrade after a year into a two-year contract.

Haha I didn't realize that until now. Don't know why I did that actually... Oh well, at least it attracts attention :D

Agreed! I always tend to worry about things like these before the release. The anticipation kills me!

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm switching from 2 year contracts to NEXT. It's basically 0% financing PLUS you're no longer tied to a carrier. You can quit AT&T and you just need to pay off the phone (which you would obviously have to do if you bought it outright anyway).

Big bonus of getting a new phone every year instead of every 2. I've found I'm dying to get a new phone after about 1 1/2 years.. that last 6 months is always torture.

Win/win/win

12. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I'd be doing. It actually is starting to sound like a great option for me, because I'm on a 15 GB Mobile Share Value Plan (with 5 lines), so we'd get a $25 discount on our monthly bill (is that right, by the way?).

Yeah same here! I'm pretty content with my 5s right now, but I definitely like the option to upgrade every year with no hassle.

13. techspin macrumors 6502a

It'd be cheaper for an individual plan if you moved to prepaid. You get .5 more gb of data with AT&T for $60/mo. Gotta buy the phone though!

14. Chatter macrumors 6502a

15. john91 macrumors member

Anyone know if Verizon adjusts the upgrade date too? I'm in the same boat as him in terms of my upgrade date falling after preorder. I have a feeling I'm going to have to call verizon on the 9th and threaten them with the old "I'm going to be moving my line over to (fill in the blank)" if I cant get them to switch my upgrade date by a week.

16. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

If you're on the mobile share plan and have 10GBs of data or more, then yes the Next plan is worth it. You'd get a new phone for a cheaper up front cost and your bill would only increase by a few bucks (assuming the iPhone 6's pricing will be similar to the 5S and you go with the Next 18 option)

----------

From my experience, if you're a good customer (paid bill on time, no past due balances, ect) then Verizon is wiling to work with you. I remember back in 2011, when the Nexus came out. My upgrade date wasn't for another week but VZW pushed it up so I could get my new phone.

17. john91 macrumors member

OK cool. I have never missed a payment or anything like that and Ive been a customer since 2004. Hopefully they care about their loyal customers.

18. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

That's already added to your bill in the form of a subsidy.

19. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'd probably go with Next 12 so I could get the 6s. Do I get a $25 discount on my line then? I'm still confused on how that works. Probably just gonna call AT&T and ask.

It seems like my two options now are Next and early upgrade, assuming the carriers will move the dates.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah I'm aware it's like paying twice for the phone I'm not giving up unlimited data so I'm kind of screwed.

21. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I had my discount question answered in another thread. We were already receiving the $25 Mobile Share Value Plan discount for each line.

So my question now becomes: is Next still worth it for me?

22. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

With the AT&T Next plan, if you have 10GBs of data or more on your plan then yeah you get the 25 dollar discount. Your line would be 15 bucks. If you have less than 10GBs of data then your line would be 25 bucks. If you go with the Next 12 option (and assuming that the iPhone 6's pricing will be similar to the 5S and assuming that you're gonna get the 32GB iPhone 6) then your bill would increase by 12 bucks. Figure it like this, normally with AT&T a smartphone line is 40 bucks. With the Next plan, your line gets discounted to 15 bucks...however you still gotta add the device charge (37.50) So you have 15 bucks plus 37 bucks. Your line would end up being roughly around 52 bucks, as opposed to 40. So your line and subsequently your bill would increase by around 12 dollars.

Now is the Next plan worth it, it depends on the customer. If you have more than 10GBs of data and just have to have the latest and greatest Apple device, then yeah it's worth it. If you have less than 10gbs of data then both the Edge and Next plans are pain in the ass, IMO. Sprints Easy pay Plan is only good if you have atleast 7 people on a Framily plan (at that point it's 25 bucks per line), other than that it's a complete waste of time and money IMO.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Your monthly rate might increase a bit with Next or Edge but you are not paying anything for the phone to begin with--you are paying it off through that monthly increase essentially. If you go with a contract then you pay something in the beginning and have a slightly smaller increase in the monthly fee. If you buy at full price then you pay it all at once and then have a small monthly fee. Depending on the plan you do the math for your situation and see what option might be better over 2 years or whatever comparison period you want to use. Sometimes one is quite a bit better and sometimes another and other times they are all fairly close.

24. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since we have a 15 GB MSVP, it could be worth it. However, the monthly bill starts to add up once everyone starts using Next (and AT&T basically forces you to use Next to keep the $25 discount, unless you pay full retail for the phone).

Absolutely. There really isn't much difference between me paying full retail for the 6 with AT&T versus me buying it with Next and then choosing to just pay off the full amount. It sucks that AT&T only lets you choose those two options to keep the $25 discount per line, which if you don't have, can really add up over the years.

Question: why wouldn't everyone just buy with Next (if they have a MSVP and are saving $15-$25), then pay off the rest of the phone whenever they want? You avoid activation and upgrade fees by using Next. Am I missing something here?

25. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I agree. It's all about the person and their needs. One person may want to pay the huge amount for a non subsidized phone up front, others may want to pay it off.