Need advice on safe Weekly Transport of iMac for a life on the road

Discussion in 'iMac' started by W1MRK, May 7, 2011.

1. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Hey all.

Long story short I drive a 18 wheeler for a living. I have a nice size sleeper that has enough room for a make shift table and imac on the inverter. (power requirements are ok) Not really interested in buying a Macbook as its both a issue of money and the fact that I want to use it mostly for my movies on the HD. The 21.5 Mid 2010 imac I have will fit the bill

I have seen cases for the imacs and a few reviews on them here but I wanted to know if those are really for every now and then moves, or everyday workouts. Vibration is also a concern as there will be a good amount.

A padded foam case designed for the iMac is where I am planning on heading but I am just concerned about the transport. I do not want to break my baby :)

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Maybe if you have had similar experience with a bag of some kind.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I drive mine to and from my parents' home every month - about 160 miles, as a roundtrip - and never have a problem. The box that it comes in, you should hang onto - it does a good job of containing it in transit.

By all means buy a custom flight-case if you want to, though. It'd look damned cool...!

3. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I should clarify. While on the road after I use the iMac I will be putting it back in the case while driving

Thanks for the response.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. CptAwesome macrumors member

+1, and a monitor for DVD's and such as he specified.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

7. stroked Suspended

stroked

When I was driving, I was lucky enough to get a Volvo 870 with a built in table. I used a c-clamp to secure my imac to the table. I recommend an APC battery backup, especially if your truck shuts down and restarts automatically when your parked.

Attached Files:

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Probably do not need to do this - perhaps mount the iMac to your truck cab using a VESA mount?

Also consider getting a SSD for the internal drive.

For storage, you could use a 2.5" laptop drive (via USB) which usually has higher shock G values.

9. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. Stoked that looks like a nice set up. I will have a newer International ProStar or a Freightshaker Columbia in a bit, once I get assigned. Good ideas.

Has anyone tried any of the bags?

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

Good luck with your new job, hope you get the ProStar. The Columbias, are Freightliner's bottom of the line junk.

11. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Front seat and strapped in with the seatbelt. lol