Need advice on weather to get solid state drive or 500 gb 7200 rpm drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, May 12, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I am torn between these two for the macbook pro 2010, I have Googled online & I saw another post here about this, & it seems more economical to go with the 7200 500 gb hard drive upgrade for now. And that the samsung SSD's that Apple uses now will degrade over time.

I am leaning towards going with the 7200 rpm 500 gb drive for now, but my concern comes from reading online people having some problems with this hard drive; http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/12/fix-for-macbook-pro-7200rpm-hard-drive-beeps-clicks-freezes/

this worried me, I notice all these complaints were from 2009, & I would like to know if apple has fixed this with a different 500 gb drive for 2010 or what?

does anybody have experience or has anybody got a macbook pro 2010 with the 500 gb hard drive upgrade? how has it worked so far?

I am getting a one time allotment of school aid money, & this will be my first mac, & it will have to last me at least 3 years. I will be doing photoshop, graphic design, & video editing on the machine, as well as doing online classes. so performance is important.

2. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

You are right about the 500GB 7200 will be more economical as the SSD are still bringing a premium price. I have an early 2009 MBP 15 inch that I upgraded to a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive that I got at Best Buy. I love it over the 5400 320GB drive that the computer came with new. You can pick the 500GB 7200 RPM models up after market for $79-99 (the Seagate I bought for $119 is now at Best Buy for $99).

Apple when it comes to hard drives may use several vendors and companies in their MBP lines. You may buy one today and pick another one up and it have a different brand hard drive.

You can get the 7200 from Apple (and you get the 1 year warranty from jump of course - USE TIME MACHINE as always). Or get the computer as config and buy the 79-99 one after the face and use the one that comes in it as a back up drive! Just get an external case for it!

Just an idea for you to ponder! Good luck!