Need advice: selling an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cubby38, Jun 25, 2012.

1. cubby38 macrumors newbie

So I randomly just found an iPhone on the street - still works but has a chunk missing off of the front top glass piece, just below the speaker. The broken part doesn't affect the actual screen at all. There's no info on it, looks like it was reset or something - I was gonna try and mail it back to whom ever lost it but I couldn't find any info. It also says there's no SIM card but it's an O2-service phone (assuming from Europe).

I'm looking to sell it but have no idea on what would be reasonable, not even sure what version iPhone it is; think its an iPhone 3.

Any constructive advice would be great!

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

You should try harder to find the owner. Unless they remote wiped.

3. cubby38 thread starter macrumors newbie

After I recharged it (friends charger), it had a picture on the lock screen to plug it in to a itunes/computer and the slider said 'Swipe for emergency' and took me to the dial pad if I swiped. I plugged it into my computer and it went into the set-up. I don't have an iPhone so I don't really know anything about them...

4. isaac2 macrumors newbie

What to do.

Try to get in touch with the owner. If you can’t get in touch with the owner, get it fixed by apple and sell it!

5. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

cant O2 or Apple identify the owner of the phone via IMEI number?

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Sounds like they remote wiped it, then. If I were you, I'd go ahead and sell it at that point. The glass is pretty easy to replace for that phone. Kits are on Amazon for like $10, I think.

7. cubby38 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check later this week, proud new owner of my first apple product (MBP!!!), so I'm going to be going to an apple store anyways. Can anyone confirm this though?

Any suggestions as to where (Amazon vs. Ebay, etc) or for how much? I'm a rookie at this, if you couldn't tell ;)

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Did you contact the police to report finding it? What about Apple or the carrier?

If not, and you sell it, you can be charged with selling stolen property.

Good luck.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I agree with the other posts regarding trying to find the owner. However, based on what you posted, I'm guessing your chances of finding him or her are pretty slim. If/when you sell it on ebay however, I would be clear to the buyer as to how you came to own this phone. Tell them exactly how you got it.

Good luck!

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It doesn't matter how clear they are.

How's this...
    The OP thinks 'finders keepers' and decides to sell the phone as is.
    The original owner, if they haven't already, contacts Apple or their carrier and gets the IMEI blocked.
    New owner, now having a dead phone, contacts Apple to find out what just happened and learns that the phone they bought is stolen.

It doesn't matter when or how, but it'd certainly all be coming back to the OP.

By not contacting the police and Apple, they are stealing and are in possession of stolen property.

11. paulopadopa macrumors regular

You should hand it into the Police. You're committing theft otherwise.

12. cubby38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Paul, that was really constructive!

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I guess the truth hurts.

14. cubby38 thread starter macrumors newbie

...you're completely right cyks, I only aspire to be as true in heart and almighty as you. Please tutor me in your ways.

FYI, I turned it in this morning but, please, keep passing judgement my way, it always helps people to know your personal opinion!

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Thing is, he wasn't sharing opinion. He was stating a fact. Glad you did the right thing though. Now you just get to get over being butt-hurt about what other anonymous internet beings may (or may not) think of you. :)