Need advice switching to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WindowsTraitor, Mar 22, 2012.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

I got the Iphone 4 around launch day so, now the phone is almost 2 years and my bills with Att are over 175 a month. (unlimited plan on 2 Iphones + 2 regular lines no data plan)

I would like to save some money and we have a 10 or 15% of with verizon.

ON avergae what would be the monthly payment for two Iphones with data plans on a family plan with 700minutes. I am getting the quote online for 129 a month (They are running a special for 30$ you get 4gb instead of 2gb). No text plan. What does the real bill look like ? 160???

I am so invested in the iphone (Tom tom apps, slingo apps etc), that I need to get an Iphone. But I would like to wait for the new one. Is it possible to just get the lines with out aphone, and then buy the phone at a discounted price later on?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're not going to save much if any with Verizon.
    They're both priced the same and most times Verizon is more expensive than AT&T.
    If monthly price is the major factor I'd look into Sprint. They have cheaper plans than both Verizon and AT&T.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Good guess. You're looking at about $168 based on our bills being nearly identical.

First of all, and I use iPhone almost exclusively, don't say you need to get an iPhone. By Autumn there may be a great Android choice for you, or even Windows (Traitor no more?). Just don't put yourself in the mindset that you're "stuck" with iPhone for life just because you bought apps. That's silly.

Anyway, I think the answer is no. You can't have a line open without having a phone on it. You can throw a junker phone on it though. Either way though, I think you'll wind up needing to pay full price later.

5. rekud300 macrumors member

rekud300

I don't know about AT&T, but with Verizon I was able to suspend a line for 3 months before either getting rid of the Line or putting a New Phone on. There was no charge while the Line was suspended.

6. breezyf808 macrumors regular

I have a bill that ranges from 197-210.
    It has one 4s, one droid, and two regular phones
    It's on a 1400 min. Both smartphones comes with unlimited text
    And also have a 10-spot friend/family or landlines circle where u call them and it's free minutes
    Also, both smartphones are unlimited data and insured.
    Its with the 15-20% county discount so we save a lot.

My advise is if u have unlimited data....STAY where ur at no matter the network coverage. Believe me 4gb is not all that much especially when 4g/lte iPhones come out. I'm ranging from 10gb a month and I'm glad I stood with Verizon for the unlimited plan

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

He would actually getting more with 4GB on the Verizon plan than he does on "unlimited" AT&T plan as they just announced that this plan gets 3GB, after which data is throttled to nearly unusable limits.

8. breezyf808 macrumors regular

True....but he will still have unlimited. I know for a fact that I can't stay under 4gb in a week. With all the texting and surfing on the web and app games it's hard to manage that usage for me. Plus when 4g network is running I know that 4gb will even be reached faster then on 3G connection. It's just me but yah verizon is a great provider...but I hate this new data plans that's in place.

9. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

you should wait for the LTE iPhone, the Verizon 4,4S sucks compared to AT&t speed wise

10. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked sprint, and it does not look like I will save much if anything....

Thank you for poinitng out that the promotion is only for LTE.

I have over 100$ in apps, and if I go to another platform I loose it all....

If ballmer leaves, I may go back to windows lol. But the truth is that the iphone has been the only phone I have owned that after 2 years is still like new and I have not sold, or trashed it somehow. So I really appreciate this platform

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say go with the carrier that provides the best signal in your area. I don't think you'll see any appreciable amount of savings going from ATT to VZW.

Its less about the $$ and more about the coverage.

12. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

talking about price fixing...... lol.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To each his own, but I see this as counterproductive. If you are using more than 4GB a week, why would you want to limit yourself to 3GB? ATT's unlimited is no longer unlimited as we know it. It's a 3GB plan with no "accidental overages".

14. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

I used to have a similar limit with vodafone in germany (they were nice enough to start the limit at 5gb). I would use the phone as my primary source for internet, and my windows phone was capable of creating a hot spot so the use was intence. After 5GB I could just send emails and an load some web pages.

it would go all the way donw to 1.2kbs to 3.2Kbs from 50-100Kbps(hdspa).

On my iphone I need cell connection for tom tom (traffic app), email, sometimes pandora. But I have never been over 2.5gb for a month

At this point I may just keep it...since there is no really savings switching. The only other solution would be to get rid of a smartphone all toghether....

15. breezyf808 macrumors regular

dilemma dilemma.... Overall if he switches we won't save, but instead spend more...Overall it would be for the better (coverage and no capping.)
    I just hope Verizon doesn't copy at&t's methods again

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

These companies like to see what their competitors get away with. If AT&T is doing well doing what they do, and Verizon isn't clearly ahead BECAUSE of their differences, Verizon will likely follow suite. If another company proves certain services (or lack thereof) can be profitable, other companies realize they can cut the fat as well.

17. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

This guy is right. The double data special is only for LTE phones

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think you should worry more about which company provides better coverage. Switching to a provider because you can save 10 bucks is nice but if you are getting horrible service what's the point if you can't use your phone?

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Dump the unlimited plans. There are plans that have a gazillion minutes plus M2AM plus N&W, so Unlimited is really just for suckers who can't do math.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think you are confused. The unlimited they are talking about is data not minutes.