Need Advice to assign CPU's in Macbook Pro using Parrallel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanwal777, Mar 20, 2012.

1. sanwal777 macrumors newbie

hi guys,

i need some advices or suggestions from u please,

im going to install windows 7 ultimate 64bit in my Macbook Pro, im
    following one online tutorial to do this with parallel software, ok, according to
    that we have to assign

1GB CPU from 4GB
    15GB Space from 500GB

question is this, if i will assign 1GB RAM to windows 7, will it be helpful to
    use 3ds max for rendering? because 3d studio max need maximum ram to
    render the 3d scene.

im installing windows specially for 3ds max, because its not compatible with MAC.

Please try to give me the good way which is suitable for 3ds max.

Thanks for the time.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you want the best performance for your 3DS max, you shouldn't be using virtualization, but bootcamp, which would allow your computer to tap into all the available power.

3. Kasalic macrumors regular

Bootcamp would be a better option, but if you are going the VM route then I'd suggest you assign the following.
    2 CPU cores (assuming you have a quad core processor)
    At least 4GB of ram
    Hard drive is irrelevant as it will change as needed.

We run Parallels and Windows 7 on 27" iMacs and they all have 12GB ram and we assign 4GB to the VM and 8GB for Mac OS.

4. sanwal777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the time

can u please give me a link to understand "bootcamp" like any tutorial link how it works and how to install......

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Start bootcamp on your mac, it'll give you step by step instructions, and if those aren't enough, search for bootcamp in google, Apple has a 40+ page document covering every minute detail.

If you know how to follow instructions, you can bootcamp.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As far as CPU cores go you can just give them all to the VM.
    They are always shared. It is just a maximum amount the VM is allowed to use, so as not to make the normal OS very unresponsive while the VM is under full load. If you have an quad core just give 4-7 cores over and you got enough responsiveness for basic stuff(browsing) left in OSX.
    It is not the same as with RAM. RAM is either or.
    4GB RAM for serious VM use is just not enough. 1GB Windows runs fine for just Office, browser some small stuff. Serious things would need more. Swapping is even more expensive for a VM than it is for a native OS.

Use bootcamp. Gives 3dsmax all the RAM, all the speed and much less overhead.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member