Need advice : USB Mixer to record guitar/vocals (for use with Logic Pro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcel-v, May 6, 2008.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Can anyone please recommend a USB mixer I can plug into my iMac so that I an record some guitar and vocal tracks with Logic Pro? I don't really know where to start or what brands are the best, any advice to steer me into the right direction would be much appreciated.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is a Digital Audio forum just for these questions -- have a look through there, especially the sticky posts at the top, which have a lot of info and links to manufacturers.

One thing you should decide first, is how many inputs you will have -- how many microphones (which need preamps) and what other inputs. This will dictate some of the requirements of the USB (or Firewire) interface. Also, if you plan to record many instruments or band members simultaneously, and want them on separate tracks, then you will need to look at how many tracks are supported by the interface -- many USB interfaces may have multiple inputs but only record 2 tracks at once to the computer. Firewire interfaces can have higher track counts.