Need advise on assembling one imac from spare parts of two models

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ptit, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Ptit, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Ptit macrumors regular

Hi everyone

I have two imacs that have issues and wondered if its hard to take parts and make one decent working imac.

--> The 20" inch c2d power supply died on me, after a power failure it refused to turn on again.

--> The Imac 24" late 2006 model i got ripped off from ebay has a terrible video card that i only found out later flickered, freezes up the computer when i use memory hungry apps and i have to force reboot, i can not even play youtube videos and i get green lines across the screen., even when i create a clip in iMovie!

i was thinking maybe its possible that the power supply of the iMac 24" can go into the iMac 20" since the 20" sores or maybe i would take the video card of the imac 20" and put it into the imac 24" or even just put the logic board from the imac 20" into the imac 24" case using its power supply with the 20"s old video card.

here are the specs, any advise for solutions appreciated.

iMac 24" white c2d late 2006 iMac 6,1 EMC 2111, bad video card, flickers, crashes using flash
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.33-24-inch-specs.html
    iMac 20" late 2006 2,16 GHZ EMC 2118
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-specs.html
    By the way both have 1TB hard drives, the 20" worked flawless for us, sad

please do advise, really appreciate it

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Sounds like a fun project.:D

Go over to iFixit.com; they have a teardown for 24" iMacs. I didn't see the same EMC number, but a model with your specs is there with a repair guide for a power supply. The supply they sell seems to fit both; search 661-4183 (the part number). Once you open both it should be clear if it'll work.

And don't blame me if it all goes t's up.

rob

3. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

you think its possible to put the iMac 17 cpu inside the iMac 24 case using its power supply?