Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Can anyone recomend a well regarded external hard disk for a ti powerbook. 60GB is probably plenty big. I'd like it to be portable and no separate power supply is a plus.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-kray

I use this for my 12PB.

Seems to hit every mark you are looking for. I use this one for video editing, but there is a 'little brother' that is 4500RPM and smaller cache if you don't require the bandwidth (save $100).

These are FireWire bus powered - truly portable and small (about the size of a Pocket PC). It does come with an external cord if you wish to plug it in, but I've never used it. No drivers, just unpack, flip the little switch to "bus power", plug it in, and it'll mount. Still have to drag to trash before unplugging, otherwise you'll get the "data might be lost" message.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Lacie's Data Bank goes up to 20GB and comes highly recommended
... and of course, there's always the 30GB iPod.

edited for ignorance.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I use the ADS Pyro Drive Kit. It's not really that protable and it uses a seperate line for power, but it's upgradeable. You get it without any HDs included, but a 40gig runs about $50 right? Anyway, it uses 3.5" HDs or 5.25" drives. So if you get tired of having storage you can put in an optical drive. They have 2 FW400 ports in back and I use it with capturing DV video and it works pretty good.

http://www.adstech.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.