Need an external monitor for my MacBook Air 11"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Oct 19, 2011.

1. AluminumMB, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011

AluminumMB macrumors regular

Right now I got a 23" Samsung LED (see screenshot below) but it's not mac-like (no glossy screen, no aluminum or silver). It looks like a PC monitor.

Do you think it looks good on my setup?

The Apple monitors are way too expensive for me.

Thanks for the help

[​IMG]

2. deppest macrumors member

well, to give you some reassurance, I am using an Eizo. It may not have the look but at least its not that glossy Apple monitor rubbish...Apple CPUs big yes, Apple monitors naahh

3. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

It doesn't look tooooo good. But then again... my setup doesn't look any better using Eizo displays, either.

If you're on a budget and don't really NEED a new display for any other reason that its looks... don't buy one. If it works well, there is no real reason to 'upgrade'.

4. jj48 macrumors regular

Well if you ask me what you've got now is great. I just bought myself a very similar samsung 24" monitor after much deliberation.

I can afford an apple display, but the actual point is do I actually want/need the design/features enough to pay the premium. For most apple products the answer is yes. For the monitor (for my needs at least) the answer was a resounding no.

You could always paint it white... ;)

5. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I think I will keep it. Why doesn't it look too goood?

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

myeyes hurt looking at the cords. get those things outta there!

the monitor is fine :)

the mba on the top shelf? so dangerous.

anyhow, i got rid of my external monitors. who wants to work at a desk?

7. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

cuz the screen is small?

8. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I got rid of the keyboard + monitor
    just using the macbook air now

9. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Honestly, if you're fine with the way the screen looks (not the way the monitor looks), then keep it.

Personally, I hate Samsung monitors. My dad got one for his MBP and it looks like crap. My girlfriend got one for her Macbook and it looked like crap. My experience with Samsung is that their monitors don't play well with Macs and they don't care.

I had a 22" HP w2207h that looked absolutely wonderful that I gave to her; she immediately noticed a huge difference in screen quality.

Again, if you're fine with the way the screen looks, keep it. If not, I'd suggest looking for a Dell Ultrasharp (or an HP w2207h if you can find one).