Need an honest opinion regarding to buy an iMac now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luisin, Sep 22, 2009.

  1. luisin macrumors member

    Sep 17, 2009

    I have saved the sufficient money to buy a new 24" iMac, but after the two consecutive Macbook Pro, the iPod Nano and the iPod Touch updates, and the new Snow Leopard updated OS i think that an iMac update could be inminent.

    Also, on October all the PC's would be equiped with new OS from Microsoft Windows 7, i thing that could be a good moment for release a new iMac or some improvements on it

    What do u think about it? Would you wait to buy?

    Thanks !


  2. Porco macrumors 68030


    Mar 28, 2005
    It's just a matter of how urgently you need it luisin.

    I agree with your assessment that the iMac would seem one of the most likely to be updated next, I would guess (and it is a total guess) by the end of January at the latest. I see what you mean about releasing it around the time of Windows 7, especially if they want to reduce the prices, as has been rumoured.

    However, if you need one now then you already know that and you just want people to tell you not to wait!

    The way I see it, the upsides with buying well-established models are that you know any major problems are likely to already be known, and you can draw on the experiences of many owners online, in places like this!

    The downside of buying a model that's due a refresh or upgrade is you get less value from the current machine before a possibly better one is released. Also, if you wait, you can usually still find some of the old models at a reduced price if it turns out you don't really like the new ones as much.

    It's the end of September as I type this... I would wait. It's always a tricky decision, good luck with whatever you decide, and remember it's all just different shades of mac-goodness whatever happens :)
  3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816


    Dec 7, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    There have been a lot of rumors and speculation about iMac updates being just "weeks" away.

    If it doesn't get updated before mid-October, then it's pretty likely the update will come in January.

    Normally, I'd tell you that if you have the money and need it now, go on and grab one. But there is also a rumor of a 7-10% price cut across the line. You're probably better off waiting unless you desperately need it now.

    I have no insider info - just rumors gathered from various Apple news sources. Nothing that hasn't been reported here.
  4. rangers12 macrumors member

    Sep 10, 2009
    in the same boat

    I am also waiting to get a new Imac- was about to go for it until the most recent rumors last week. My plan is to wait until Oct. 15th- if they don't update by then, most likely it will wait until January. Granted that's entirely my speculation based on past behavior but otherwise I'd go crazy.

    realistically, the major reason for waiting is just because I hate buying right before a refresh- it's largely irrational since you can buy a refurb if you want to save money and any performance increase is not going to make a huge difference unless you're doing major photo/video editing.

    just my .02
  5. czeluff macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2006
    anytime is a good time

    I used to be the type that replaced his laptop every 6 months before the new version released. I'd lose a very small, if any, amount of money. But it was alot of work every 6 months.

    I thought I'd do the same with my iMac. I was wrong; I've been using the same one for over a year now, and have no desire to upgrade. I understand that you may be waiting for something new whiz-bang awesome. Even if they REVAMPED the iMac, it wouldn't take away from the fact that the iMac is my favorite unit Apple makes, over every laptop i've ever owned.

    For what it's worth, it feels nice to get out of the "should I buy now?" mode. Buy it now because you want it; if it has all of the features you need right now, pull the trigger.
  6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    As others have said, it depends on how urgently you need it. If you really need it, then buy it. It won't stop doing what you bought it to do just because Apple releases a newer model.
  7. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

    Sep 23, 2004
    New York
    At the Intel Developer Forum today, they were demoing Arrandale processors in laptop computers. It seems to me there is a good chance they will end up in iMacs very soon. I'm waiting until October...
  8. silentnite macrumors 6502a


    Apr 21, 2009
    Outer sight.. Outer mind
    Just look at it like this by buying now you know exactly what you won't be getting. No Blu ray, faster processor, matte screen, perhaps SSD. etc

    By waiting you may get 1 or all of the above or maybe nothing your expecting. I've learned it's a risk you take with the waiting game. I'm reading a lot of rumors as well so I have decided to put off any purchases. But I do own a nice Mac already and can afford to sit it out. If this is your first Mac I can understand how hard it can be to wait. Like most of the regulars here say, if you need it now buy now. "May the force be with you"
  9. gardengirl macrumors newbie

    Sep 23, 2009
    Our HP is on a downward spirl. Went to Apple Store yesterday, do not remember much because of my chattery 3yo and a horrible headcold, but I do remember really liking them. I think the 20" is more than enough for us, the salesperson said the 24" is more for pros. Agree? We just need a computer for emails, photos (some editing that might increase in the future if it is easy to use), and internet use. The salesperson said that if we needed to write documents that we would need to buy a program and also recommended the three yr warranty. Is the warranty really needed? If the computers are so well built why would you need a warranty? OH, what about printers? It was packed in the store, so I didn't notice any printers. How long could I expect the imac to last?

    Thanks for your help! Have to convince my HP loving husband MACs are better.
  10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Aug 18, 2009
    tbh i'd just get it now [​IMG] but speculations are going on about a new release in january... Damn you apple!! just give us dates and we'll all be happy

Share This Page