Need app to rename MP3s (artist, album, etc.)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badlydrawnboy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time finding an app to do this, because it seems like a common task. I have a bunch of MP3 recordings that are untitled. They will all have the same artist and album name. Rather than import them into iTunes individually and entering the same information over and over again, I'd like to find a program that will allow me to assign an artist and album name (and maybe other info, like genre, etc.) in a batch prior to importing the files into iTunes.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could also do the reverse. Import them into iTunes and then rename the files, based on the mp3 tag information, assuming it's there.

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the problem: these files have no tags of any kind.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How did you get them? You may need to re-rip from CDs.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

For Album, Artist, and artwork data you can simply select all files you want and select "Get Info". This way you will only have to enter that information in one time. For the individual track names you can just select next to enter in that data.

Thing is these files have no tags, and the easiest way (at least that I know) to create tag information is within a media player, such as iTunes.

6. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

They are educational talks from an organization I'm associated with. Unfortunately, no tags were added in post-production.

I know I can batch add album, artist & genre info within iTunes. But the problem is locating all of the files easily once I've imported them. They all have filenames that are not associated, so if I just select all of the files and import them into iTunes, they won't appear next to each other - which makes it difficult to select them all to perform the batch operation.

Does this make sense?

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

There are multiple ways to see them grouped in iTunes... after you import just sort by 'date added', and they will all be at the top. Or make a smart playlist where the content is 'added today'.

8. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816