Need both American and UK advice on buying a US MBP for use in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by niuniu, Jun 11, 2009.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Hi, long story short - was disappointed in the recent updates, as now in the UK I have to spend more money on a 15inch MBP to get a GT card.

I was tempted to go for a refurb in the UK, but have now been presented with the option of buying a 15inch MBP in the US (the folks are going over to meet my sister in LA next month) and they asked if I wanted anything brought over.

I did some currency conversion and I can get the 2.66 15inch MBP for around 1210 GBP, wheras here in the UK the baseline MBP 15inch MBP is 1299. The 2.66 in the UK for comparison is 1499.

That's a really tidy saving, and of course I'm getting more for less money than the baseline 15inch.

-------------------------

So my question..

What sort of problems can I expect with the components over long term use with the UK power supply using an American MBP?

Can I buy an official Apple product to convert the power supply?

Any experiences?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's actually £1330 as you will have to pay 9.25% sales tax in LA. You are also "required" to declare it and pay 15% VAT upon returning to the UK. So the real price is £1,530 plus the cost of power adapter. You'd also get the US keyboard. Most people will suggest you throw away the packaging and have your parents bring it as carry on and avoid paying VAT, so if you go that path you can save £170 off the UK retail price with current exchange rates, still a decent amount but maybe you'd prefer to shop around in the UK.

There should be no usage issues with a decent power adapter. As for an official product you could buy a UK magsafe adapter for ~£60.

3. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ouch, don't like the sound of that. Throwing away the packaging isn't a problem, I just want the laptop, and the keyboard I'm happy with, I looked that up already..

Is there a way to avoid this sales tax? Maybe by ordering the laptop through the US Apple Store and having it delivered to my sister's address?

(I'm determined to get a good deal here!)

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

She could order it from another site as she is US based, thats the advantage you have most don't when shopping on holiday. Have a look on this forum for US online stores with discounts.