Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have a muscle disease so am very weak. With my macbook pro, i use a usbc hub/dongle and of course the power cable. However, I cannot plug or unplug these cables from the usbc ports on my MBP. I am not strong enough. Any ideas for how i might come up with a system so I can do it myself. When unplugging the charger, I find myself pulling the wire to get it out which I know isn’t good for it. I know its a vague question but would appreciate any ideas. Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are as weak as you say, how often would you be moving your Macbook Pro?

With that question in mind, you would only need some kind of tool that would give you better leverage, something like a plier with soft jaws, that would allow you to grip the cable or connector, and push/pull without causing damage to the cable.
Maybe a tool like this will help you - https://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-AWA-NSI3405-Artistic-Nylon-Pliers/dp/B0018N61JM

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
How about using something thin like dental-floss and having someone tie it tightly around the plug (just below the plastic edge drop-off), then make a loop that you can easily grab, or put a finger through, and pull.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
pls look for where to buy a USB-C - MagSafe (type of adapter).

like this photo.

i live in japan and these are available. i am sorry i don't know if they are readily available elsewhere.

good luck.

and for what its worth, even for those of us without a decreased strength difficulty, the USB-C plug is very very difficult to learn to like after having been spoiled with the great Magsafe concept originally from apple.

61eeb0h21KL._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: hfg and Fishrrman

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
pls look for where to buy a USB-C - MagSafe (type of adapter).

like this photo.

i live in japan and these are available. i am sorry i don't know if they are readily available elsewhere.

good luck.

and for what its worth, even for those of us without a decreased strength difficulty, the USB-C plug is very very difficult to learn to like after having been spoiled with the great Magsafe concept originally from apple.

View attachment 822386
I have seen those for sale on AliExpress. They’re not all that expensive either.

Have you used one for a USB-C to USB-C connection. ? I am curious how good of a connection the make. I have a magnetic cable that I use and it is fine except it occasionally disconnects if I bump it. That’s fine for a power supply but could wreak havoc on things like external storage devices if it disconnects at the wrong time.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I have seen those for sale on AliExpress. They’re not all that expensive either.

Have you used one for a USB-C to USB-C connection. ? I am curious how good of a connection the make. I have a magnetic cable that I use and it is fine except it occasionally disconnects if I bump it. That’s fine for a power supply but could wreak havoc on things like external storage devices if it disconnects at the wrong time.

the only one i have played around with was in a store. and it had a stronger magnetic connection than apple's old Magsafe connection.

we are firstly solving a need to easily plug/unplug here.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I did a little research on the connector shown in reply 5 above.
Here are some links:

https://www.mobilefun.com/baseus-mi...MIr5KEutjF4AIVClmGCh21BAxjEAQYASABEgI84_D_BwE

https://www.tvc-mall.com/details/ba...MIr5KEutjF4AIVClmGCh21BAxjEAQYBSABEgLpvfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Macbook-CONMDEX-Charging-MagSafe/dp/B074CXDFGT

I have no idea how well these work in actual use.

Having said that, I've known someone who had muscular problems (related to MD), so I can understand "where the OP is coming from".

I'm thinking one of the above connectors (the charging cord version looks like it would be appropriate), perhaps running through a charging dock with a few USBc ports as well?

The idea being, the "small connector" could be left plugged into the MacBook all the time (it doesn't "stick out" very far when the cord is disconnected) and the magnetic part would be easier to attach/remove...

(Thanks to niji for the suggestion above!)

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm thinking one of the above connectors (the charging cord version looks like it would be appropriate), perhaps running through a charging dock with a few USBc ports as well?

The idea being, the "small connector" could be left plugged into the MacBook all the time (it doesn't "stick out" very far when the cord is disconnected) and the magnetic part would be easier to attach/remove...

(Thanks to niji for the suggestion above!)

One thing I would consider if you plan to use it with a hub is does it support data transfer was well as charging. While I see on reason why a pin for pin connection on an adapter vs a cable wouldn’t support data transfer I would want to ensure it does, otherwise a hub would be essentially useless since it would not support attachment or peripherals.

For example, I have a magnetic cable that is fine as a power cable but doesn’t support data transfer since it is not designed for such use.

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.