Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Because the CarPlay Maps/navigation does not display on my car’s head unit as well as on the phone’s screen I looked for a way to turn CarPlay off. I was able to turn CarPlay off through the Screen Time settings. I was able to try it this way today for the first time. It worked but although the navigation map stays on the phone screen the voice turn by turn tries to play through the car’s system. With the result that there‘s no voice navigation. I tried going into the phone settings but other than finding a reference that indicated the phone was connected to a dock and attempting to play audio through that I was not able to find any way to return the audio to the phone’s speakers. Has anyone been able to do this? My only recourse for now in attempting to bypass CarPlay is to not connect to the USB ports under the head unit but use the ones from the rear of the car to charge the phone while using Maps for navigation. Those ports are charge only. I could “forget” the car and just not allow them to pair if I use the main USB ports but I’m concerned that the phone will still see this as a dock and attempt to play the audio through the head unit Has anyone tried to, successfully, do something similar?

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I had found that but thought to try just turning CarPlay off through the Screen Time and redtriction settings, but that didn’t change the audio. Will forgetting the car stop the audio as well?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you're just using CarPlay, then that should stop everything. However, you may also have paired the phone to the car using Bluetooth. If so, the audio may be going via Bluetooth rather than CarPlay.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Thanks! Not using Bluetooth intentionally to avoid that issue. Only CarPlay.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks! Not using Bluetooth intentionally to avoid that issue. Only CarPlay.

You can set audio to phone bot Bluetooth for maps once you remove the car in CarPlay. I’d do that so you can use Bluetooth for phone calls text music etc.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Thanks, that would be one way of handling it. But I use my phone for all its functions. And only have an occasional desire to play my music through the car’s speakers. I prefer to keep my devices separate, it’s a lot easier to reboot my phone, if there’s a problem, than it is to reboot my car. I do understand that iOS 14 greatly improves the Maps display so I may switch back to CarPlay when that rolls out. But for now speaking out to Siri directly to the phone has always worked very efficiently for me, but I don’t take calls or messages when I’m driving.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Because the CarPlay Maps/navigation does not display on my car’s head unit as well as on the phone’s screen I looked for a way to turn CarPlay off.
Just curious.
Why do you need navigation to display on both your iphone and car display?

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I don’t. I have a Subaru with that big ipad like screen. The latest Subaru software enabled full screen Apple CarPlay including Maps. However the display is not as crisp or as legible as how Maps is displayed on my phone. The time of arrival, minutes to arrival, and distance to are particularly tiny. So I’d prefer to just use my phone for Maps and navigation. But with CarPlay enabled you don’t get that choice so I turned off CarPlay through Screen Time and restrictions. That worked to keep the maps display on the phone but no audio is heard.

Of course I can just run the phone off battery for short trips or connect to one of the charge only USB ports in the back of the car and avoid those issues but neither is a long term solution.

LegacyUser12

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2016
Just curious.
Why do you need navigation to display on both your iphone and car display?
I for one hate using Waze on CarPlay because it never readily displays traffic info. The nanosecond I unplug and look at the actual app on iPhone, I can see whats ahead and change paths if need be. Of course while stopped or passenger and not actually driving.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
If you're just using CarPlay, then that should stop everything. However, you may also have paired the phone to the car using Bluetooth. If so, the audio may be going via Bluetooth rather than CarPlay.
Unfortunately unpairing CarPlay did not return the audio to the phone. I even used Screen Time/Restrictions to disable the CarPlay app so I wouldn’t get the pairing request to pop up. So I’ll have to just use one of the charge only ports to connect to the phone if I want both the display and the audio to be on the phone.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I for one hate using Waze on CarPlay because it never readily displays traffic info. The nanosecond I unplug and look at the actual app on iPhone, I can see whats ahead and change paths if need be. Of course while stopped or passenger and not actually driving.
Thanks, makes perfect sense. I'm boring and have stuck with Apple Maps. It does a great job of warning what's ahead and reroutes if appropriate.

Reactions: papbot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.